LOR advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canned Heat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm obviously a lurker here, but I have a couple questions regarding letters of rec. I did my best to search for relevant threads, but was unable to find any.

I took the same ochem professor for a year and he/she and I have gotten to know each other very well. I know about his/her life, personality, and almost everything else. This professor also knows I work hard, but had trouble in the class. I got B's in both first and second semester ochem's and I'm wondering if it's worth asking this professor. Although this person knows me very well, I'm not sure if getting B's both semesters shows my best effort (I did however save myself from almost failing the second semester by working extremely hard towards the end). So the question is, should I ask?

I know that getting a LOR from a physician is not a must, but I hear that pretty much everyone gets one now adays. I need to keep up. Does anyone know if it only looks good if the doctor is an attending? People familiar with admissions, this question is especially for you. I've established some good relationships with residents and fellows, but not any attendings because they are always scarce and busy with other stuff. I'm not sure if their opinion matters when it comes to LOR's. So again, should I ask?

Thanks SDN.

P.S. I was thinking of getting a letter from a pastor (if needed), but I have heard of some schools looking down on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As for as your ochem professor goes, if you feel that he/she will write you a positive LOR, then I say go for it. As for obtaining a letter from a physician, that is not really necessary, unless you're applying to certain DO schools (In this case, you would actually want a letter from a DO physician).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As for as your ochem professor goes, if you feel that he/she will write you a positive LOR, then I say go for it. As for obtaining a letter from a physician, that is not really necessary, unless you're applying to certain DO schools (In this case, you would actually want a letter from a DO physician).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what I was thinking :) I can get a letter from a doc if it's good. It sounds like it'd be beneficial to me, but I wouldn't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that a positive letter from a professor you know well and did mediocre in their class is FAR more valuable than a letter from a professor who doesn't know you but got a good grade. The latter can't say anything about your personality, work ethic, etc. and it makes for an extremely boring letter IMO. So I say ask away.

If you're going the DO route you will need a letter from a DO physician. Otherwise it's definitely not necessary to have a physician letter. A letter from a fellow or resident probably doesn't hold as much weight as one from an attending.