LOR Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AH3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the letters I have so far:
-Faculty adviser and biochem professor
-Organic professor (did research with him)
-Philosophy professor
-Employer

I recently did 2-3 weeks of research with another professor who I had for a class this past semester. I did really well in her class (exercise physiology) and helped a lot in the research. We got along pretty well and I think she would be able to write me a really good letter. Should I ask her to write me one? Also, when should my letter packet from my school be sent to AMCAS to be considered in the first round of applicants? That will be a big factor in my decision. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just an opinion. But I'm not sure how much actual research you could have done in 2-3 weeks. Although you may have collected a lot of data etc. I think getting somebody to write a rec letter for you for working such a short period of time may not be the best idea. However if you really think he/she can write a great one and would be willing by all means get it. A good rec letter is a good rec letter. Hope this helps!

I didn't do a massive amount, but I collected a large part of the data to be used in the study. I did it pretty much independently too and was responsible for my portion. I probably won't do any analysis, but I contributed to making procedures for data collection. I have no doubt she could write me a great letter, but I just feel like 5 may be a bit much. Anyone else have any experience/input with this?

Collect as many letters as you can. If the admission board is having a tough time choosing applicants, that one letter maybe your ticket into medical school. I doubt it will hurt your chances since you feel she will write a great letter.

Most schools accept around 6 letters at most. Make sure you know the limit for each school you apply to. Good luck.