LOR after one day of shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there's a lot of different threads on shadowing, but I couldn't find the answer to what I was looking for..

I had the opportunity to talk to a DO physician (the office was too small to do shadowing) for about an hour or so today and she said if I write my own letter, she could sign it. (I wish I could change the topic title because it's 1-2 hours instead of one day)

So I've been looking at some templates for ideas, but I'm not sure how to write the beginning paragraph where you talk about how long/to what capacity you have known the recipient and wondered if anyone else ran into this problem..

Members don't see this ad.

If you decide that this person is someone you want submitting an LOR for you, make sure you write an honest DRAFT and allow the physician to edit as necessary, before THEY submit it.

If you were only with them for one day, then write that. This just doesn't sound to me like a good option... It may be better for you to find a DO to actually shadow and spend a decent amount of time with... And have them submit your letter. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I would find another DO that you could actually shadow and have write you a letter. That will help you gain perspective on becoming a DO as well as help you get a better, honest letter. However, if this is your only option its better than nothing.... still I wouldn't be satisfied with that.