LOR Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused2626

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what you guys think of my LOR breakdown. I'll probably be submitting 4, but will be getting 5 LOR total

1) Bio Professor.
2) Poli Sci Professor
3) Research Mentor (I have two from two different people in the same research experience. Should I submit both or alternate?)
4)Intern mentor

I could possibly get the chair of my college's department to write me one, but it would probably be very generic. I don't think she knows my name, just recognizes my face. Should I go ahead for this one or do I have an ok spread?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools want two letters from science professors who have actually worked with you in a classroom setting. I think some programs would accept your research mentor LOR in lieu of that second science LOR, but some definitely won't. So, try to get another from a bio or chem prof to add to this list.

Guess I should go get that other professor I was talking about. Hopefully my other LOR's will make up for the vaguness I'm going to be getting from this one..

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also curious about this. I shadowed (Derm) and volunteer at a hospital (ED) but I did not/do not want to ask for letters from these people not because I don't think they would do it or they think badly of me, but because I was so grateful to even receive the opportunities that I feel bad making these busy people write me a letter. Here is my breakdown that I submitted to the Pre-Professional Office at my school:

Class titles indicate classes I have HAD this professor for, not just what they teach:

1. Professor of Biochemistry - Organic Chemistry I/II - Organic Chemistry I Lab

2. Professor of General Biology I - Microbiology Lab - Microbial Ecology - Research Mentor

3. Professor of Italian I, Italian II, and Italian III

4. Professor of Introduction to the Study of Religion - Researched-Based Writing (Emphasis on Religion) - World Religions

Will my application be looked down upon since I have all faculty professors, one of which I am doing a Research program with?

The letter will be a composite also, if that matters.

I am also curious about this. I shadowed (Derm) and volunteer at a hospital (ED) but I did not/do not want to ask for letters from these people not because I don't think they would do it or they think badly of me, but because I was so grateful to even receive the opportunities that I feel bad making these busy people write me a letter. Here is my breakdown that I submitted to the Pre-Professional Office at my school:

Class titles indicate classes I have HAD this professor for, not just what they teach:

1. Professor of Biochemistry - Organic Chemistry I/II - Organic Chemistry I Lab

2. Professor of General Biology I - Microbiology Lab - Microbial Ecology - Research Mentor

3. Professor of Italian I, Italian II, and Italian III

4. Professor of Introduction to the Study of Religion - Researched-Based Writing (Emphasis on Religion) - World Religions

Will my application be looked down upon since I have all faculty professors, one of which I am doing a Research program with?

The letter will be a composite also, if that matters.

No, that's perfect.