Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

LOR Cover Forms

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Neuronix, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    I know this question has been asked in the past but SDN no longer has the thread and this question has now become relevant for most of us who are applying for 2003.

Some MSTP programs ask you to give a "cover form" to each recommending professor and have each professor send it with your letter of recommendation. This will not be easy for me to do because my letters of recommendation are handled through a central service at the University and I would have to go back to my old PIs and ask them to do these forms for several schools as well as attach the letter of recommendation and send it again. I do not wish to burden them with it. In fact, I think my biggest recommender is on sabbatical and isn't even here.
    :confused:

Does anybody have experience with this? None of the schools emphasize that this is absolutely required. Will it disqualify or look unfavorable to have my LORs sent without the cover forms?

+pissed+ Thanks in advance for your responses. :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sluox

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    i'm in the same...i e-mailed various schools...every school has a separate policy. generally, you want to send the entire package to the SOM admissions office. DO NOT worry about the form. DO NOT ask the profs again...(it's silly)

I'll try and post my results soon

4. Bikini Princess

I recall reading last year's discussion, and the consensus was that most schools didn't require it. Sort of like Jefferson's 4-prof (phys,bio,chem,humanities) recommendation requirements.

Maybe we should start a post of schools that actually require this form/checklist to be filled out? Anyone care to start?

5. none

none 1K Member

I was in the exact same situation and never used form letters. The University of Iowa even exempts its MSTP applicants from the form letter if they don't apply regular MD also! I wouldn't worry about it.