Which LORs are worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KN1234

Reaction score
I am triple majoring in biology, chemistry, and sociology. However, I have several options for letters. I will have 3 letters from various PIs. While one isn't super strong, the other two are strong, and one from my primary lab (2000+ hours) is very strong.

I also will have one group letter from several of my key science teachers who I have a strong relationship with (Ochem, anatomy, etc.).

I have worked at my university as a tutor for 2+ years and around 500 hours and my boss has offered to write me a strong letter.

I also have worked in various student organizations for every year of my college career (president of student government, editor in chief of school's academic journal, chairperson of school publishing board) and my advisor has offered to write me a very strong letter demonstrating my leadership, strong time management, and ability to manage many responsibilities. However, this advisor is not a PhD, their role is more administrative technically.

Finally, back in several sociology community college classes I took while I was a senior in high school, I became very close with a professor. Their letter is one of the most positive letters I have ever seen, saying I am the single most meaningful student they've had in 40 years of teaching, along with attesting to my strong academic ability and willingness to help others.

So I guess my question is which combination of these letters would y'all recommend. While I am certain to do the first 2 PI's letter, should I also do the third slightly weaker letter (I worked with that PI for about 350 hours versus 3000 hours total). Also should I utilize any of these other options?

Members don't see this ad.

I would tailor it to each school. You can upload 10 letters to amcas and then assign specific letters to different schools, so you can request all of these letters and then look at the guidelines of each school. Some schools require a non-science professor for example.

Reactions: 1 user