LOR - Department chair letter and multiple authors on a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ohellothere

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone

I have a strong LOR from a US EM physician who happens to also be Department Chair. However, I am applying IM. I also want to send the EM LOR to IM programs I’m applying for. The issue is that I have listed the EM author as a ‘Department Chair’ on ERAS. As an IMG I have not been able to source a IM specific DC LOR.

What’s the proper etiquette here? Should I request the author to upload it again under a different letter ID without the Department Chair component to it? Or is an EM LOR with the DC status better than no DC status at all?

Second question - two attendings at one rotation I worked at have offered to co-write a LOR, and to put both their signatures at the bottom. Is this common? Would it actually strengthen the LOR?
 
To your first question, I would not have chosen the DC status, but now that it’s been selected I wouldn’t go out of your way to correct it. When someone opens the letter it will become apparent immediately what happened.

It’s a little unusual to go-write a letter, but not unheard of. Do you have plenty of letters? If you have space to share it may be better to have them write separate letters. In any event, I don’t think a co-signed letter helps but it won’t hurt