rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
For those of you who applied with more than 3 LORs (Sumstorm??) did you have to designate which LORs were for specific schools? What schools randomly pick 3 LORs and what schools do you have to specify LORs to be selected for your file?

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Some schools say they take the first 3. So I had to make sure I requested them in a specific order (which was bizarre). Others accepted a specific request concerning which ones to consider. In talking to admissions, several said that they would put the designations on, but genreally if the adcoms liked the other stuff they reviewed, they were likely to read all of them.

OP
rileyroo

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
In your experience, do you remember what schools were the ones who took the first 3?

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
no, I'm sorry, I don't. I found the info on the admissions websites or by emailing. I kind of got rid ofa lot of the emails on that stuff about a month ago...making room in my inbox.

aspiringDVM

AU CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I asked Auburn, UPenn, and NCSU about applying with more than 3 LORs and they all said they'd consider all of them (4 in my case).

feadog

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
I got an e-mail from MS State last year asking which 3 I wanted to be considered, because I had submitted 4 through VMCAS.

OP
rileyroo

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
thanks for all the info!!

feadog, so the only school who mentioned it to you was miss st? ksu didn't ask about you submitting 4?

feadog

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
Nope, I didn't hear anything from K-State about submitting 4 letters.

Does anyone know how Minnesota reads their LORs? I am running into a predicament -- I have 2 people for LORs for sure, but then I work for a clinic.

The clinic has 2 vets, one full time who I work with mostly, but then the other is the owner and hired me. I felt like I should ask the one who hired me and has many years of experience doing this sort of thing, so I asked her. BUT... she reacted like she'd never written an eLOR and had no idea what was involved. Immediately, I felt like I made the wrong choice in asking her and felt like I should have asked the younger vet that I work with more often.

In this situation, do you think I should just go with it, or should I ask the other vet and have 4 LORs, two being from the same practice?

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Does anyone know how Minnesota reads their LORs? I am running into a predicament -- I have 2 people for LORs for sure, but then I work for a clinic.

The clinic has 2 vets, one full time who I work with mostly, but then the other is the owner and hired me. I felt like I should ask the one who hired me and has many years of experience doing this sort of thing, so I asked her. BUT... she reacted like she'd never written an eLOR and had no idea what was involved. Immediately, I felt like I made the wrong choice in asking her and felt like I should have asked the younger vet that I work with more often.

In this situation, do you think I should just go with it, or should I ask the other vet and have 4 LORs, two being from the same practice?
I would likely have 4. However, I would also make it absolutly as easy as possible for the owner to write an elor. I would try to sit down and have a conversation asking if they are comfortable writing a strong letter, and quietly say that if they aren't, I would prefer they decline, but if they are, I am willing to help in any way I can. Then provide information on what information is sought in the eLOR, a brief synopsis of your experiences with that vet, and a resume. I gave this to all of my LOR writers, and was told it helped. I also included what I hoped they would address such as dedication, or ability to work under stress, or ability to work with clients, academic ability, etc.