LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For LORs, I know one needs to be from a veterinarian. Does it matter if that vet is still practicing clinically or not? I have a professor who is awesome and is a DVM but she’s not practicing anymore, just teaching. I wondered if this could count as my veterinarian letter or if she should count as my academic letter since she teaches instead of being in practice. I have another professor whom I like a lot who was going to write my academic letter and another from a boss so thats why I was wondering how this is all considered or if it even matters as long as the person is a DVM.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, the purpose of a DVM letter is to say that you’ve experienced the field and they think you’d be a good fit for the profession. I would absolutely not have your only letter from a DVM be from a professor that never saw you in any clinical setting and only taught you in class. I’m not saying not to include a letter from this educator who has a DVM if you feel like it will be a good one, but I wouldn’t let that be your only DVM letter. While one could argue it technically meets the literal requirements, it really doesn’t satisfy what they’re looking for. Could you possibly get in using it as your DVM letter? Sure anything is possible, but I think you’d be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 13 users
You may or may not already know this. Unless things have changed, you can submit more than 3 letters, so if you choose to ask this DVM to write your academic letter, you can still have your other professor write you a letter if you think it will be a good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, the purpose of a DVM letter is to say that you’ve experienced the field and they think you’d be a good fit for the profession. I would absolutely not have your only letter from a DVM be from a professor that never saw you in any clinical setting and only taught you in class. I’m not saying not to include a letter from this educator who has a DVM if you feel like it will be a good one, but I wouldn’t let that be your only DVM letter. While one could argue it technically meets the literal requirements, it really doesn’t satisfy what they’re looking for. Could you possibly get in using it as your DVM letter? Sure anything is possible, but I think you’d be putting yourself at a disadvantage.
This 100% makes sense, thank you. Do you think it's useful to have a LOR from a tech? I want a DVM, academic, and then I thought a tech I worked closely with could be a good option as she knows me and my skills very well.

This 100% makes sense, thank you. Do you think it's useful to have a LOR from a tech? I want a DVM, academic, and then I thought a tech I worked closely with could be a good option as she knows me and my skills very well.
I think they want a DVM LOR because they’re looking for someone to evaluate you on whether or not you have the qualities/characteristics to be a good veterinarian. Is it helpful to have good tech skills coming into vet school? Sure, but not necessary. You can teach almost anyone how to pull blood or give vaccines, you can’t teach everyone to be a good vet if they don’t fundamentally have the right characteristics.

Reactions: 1 users
I think they want a DVM LOR because they’re looking for someone to evaluate you on whether or not you have the qualities/characteristics to be a good veterinarian. Is it helpful to have good tech skills coming into vet school? Sure, but not necessary. You can teach almost anyone how to pull blood or give vaccines, you can’t teach everyone to be a good vet if they don’t fundamentally have the right characteristics.
I agree. I think it is reasonable to ask the tech who maybe worked one-one more closely with you to collaborate with the DVM writer, but definitely recommend it be signed from the doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
If this plan means your professor DVM as the only DVM, another academic professor, and a tech, then I still wouldn’t recommend it for the reasons already stated by me and the others. If your plan includes a vet you worked with/shadowed in a clinical setting, a professor (either the DVM instructor or someone else), and the tech, I think that’s probably okay. Lots of people have a non-DVM write a letter. But a letter from a tech will not stand in for a DVM letter. Techs are very valuable and while they do have good knowledge of tech skills, they just don’t understand all the stressors of being a vet and the kind of personal qualities that helps someone succeed in the job.