LOR dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemostat33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to UICs MPH program, most likely in epidemiology, shortly. I am currently finishing up my master's degree in biology, and i have two strong letters, one from my mentor, and one from an infectious disease professor that I took a class with, and TAd for. My problem is that i'm struggling finding another one. Anyone from my bachelors degree is basically out of the question, its been three years, and that just seems akward to me. I have one instructor that is on my thesis committee that I took a biology education seminar with, but i'm not sure about her. She likes me, but i'm afraid that just having three biology instructors won't be strong enough for a public health program. I really have no one from a public health related field to give me a letter, is this a problem?

My second question that I had posted previously, but never got a response to, is that I took the GRE to get into grad school two years ago. My scores were low, 1080, I believe, but my school basically just needed scores so i didn't study for it. Should I retake the GRE even though I will have a completed thesis master's program by the time i start the MPH program? Is this something only the school could tell me? Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I felt strange asking a professor from undergrad seeing as I graduated in 2004. Even though I took a lot of classes with him I was worried he wouldn't remember me. However, he was more than happy to do so and said he understands because he relied so much on recommendations to get where he is. Do you have any supervisor/employers to ask? Even if they aren't in the field, I imagine they can speak on your character and work ethic to balance the recommendations?

As for the GRE, I wouldn't know, but it probably can't hurt? Maybe depends a bit on your GPAs.

my gpa from my master's degree, is high, probably like a 3.8 i'm guessing. my uga is low, probably around a 2.9. i guess i'll probably have to call the school and ask. it just seems like a waste of time to retake the gre since i will have my MS, but i'll do it if they need it.

I thought about asking an employer from about a year ago when i worked at a technical medical college teaching dental assisting and healthcare law and ethics. i worked there part time for 10 months until the program ended, but i just wonder what kind of things would she write in a letter that the committee would find useful. i just don't know, i'm torn.