Weigh in on LOR types

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LG0331

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Concerning a choice for my third LOR. Do you think it would be better to have:

an "eh" LOR from a biochem professor at a university (with whom you took biochem classes, but during a difficult time. C in one class, B+ in other)

or

A better LOR from a microbiology professor (PhD) at a community college (A+ grade)

Members don't see this ad.

Second one, especially if they know you as a person better than the first. Also, SOPHAS allows for 5 recommendations if I remember right, so you could ask both knowing some schools might only read one.

Reactions: 1 user
Second one, especially if they know you as a person better than the first. Also, SOPHAS allows for 5 recommendations if I remember right, so you could ask both knowing some schools might only read one.

Thanks for your input! I definitely considered doing both - I'm also worried the first could potentially be a damning one! In that case, it seems like the obvious answer would certainly be to not go w/ that professor however both of my professor LOR would then be from a CC (another would be w/ my PI). Again, though, I'm not sure how it looks to only have LOR from CCs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think people have different perspectives on whether LORs should be from the most prestigious scholars you know or from the ones who know you the best and can speak the highest to your potential. From my view, the latter are definitely more valuable than the former, but I guess it depends on where you're applying. I wouldn't ask the first person to write if I were you. If you can handle a frank conversation and think they would be honest, you can try asking if they "are able to write you a strong letter of recommendation" or if they would recommend you ask someone else. Unless this person really has it in for you, they'll just decline if they feel they can't write something strong.

And if this takes some pressure off of you at all, 2/3 of my writers scanned the wrong side of their letter and sent a blank page to SOPHAS. In March, one of my schools caught this mistake and asked me to resend. I had already been admitted to 7 other schools and gotten some scholarships, and I wasn't a super impressive candidate. I think LORS are a pretty minor part of the application, and you shouldn't feel that having community college writers will set you back.

Reactions: 1 users
I think people have different perspectives on whether LORs should be from the most prestigious scholars you know or from the ones who know you the best and can speak the highest to your potential. From my view, the latter are definitely more valuable than the former, but I guess it depends on where you're applying. I wouldn't ask the first person to write if I were you. If you can handle a frank conversation and think they would be honest, you can try asking if they "are able to write you a strong letter of recommendation" or if they would recommend you ask someone else. Unless this person really has it in for you, they'll just decline if they feel they can't write something strong.

And if this takes some pressure off of you at all, 2/3 of my writers scanned the wrong side of their letter and sent a blank page to SOPHAS. In March, one of my schools caught this mistake and asked me to resend. I had already been admitted to 7 other schools and gotten some scholarships, and I wasn't a super impressive candidate. I think LORS are a pretty minor part of the application, and you shouldn't feel that having community college writers will set you back.

Hahahaha omg! you are correct - that does take some pressure off

Hey @MIS2MPH, see my comments on this thread above re: LORs-- might help ease the panic a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey @MIS2MPH, see my comments on this thread above re: LORs-- might help ease the panic a bit.

Thank you so much! That does make me feel better. I've been at this job for almost 2 years and have a great rapport with my supervisor so I'm sure that he'll be able to write me a better recommendation than the other choices I had (the place I've been volunteering since August and a program I've been involved in since September). I was just worried cause UWash's application said that recommenders needed advanced degrees (my supervisor only has his bachelor's) and I was worried maybe other schools were like that too.