LOR Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rihdus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, here's my problem and I hope some of you guys can offer me a suggestion.

I have completed all my secondary applications and have paid the fees, but I'm currently waiting for a health committee letter from my school who have promised me that all the letters will be sent by August 31st at the latest. I have 3 other letters of recommendations that satisfy the minimum requirement that i can send. However, i have heard that as soon as the schools have the min., they will start reviewing the application. I'm pretty confident that the health committee letter will be very beneficial to my application but i'm starting to worry about whether the benefits are enough to offset how late it's coming. So my question is, should i screw the Health Committee letter, cut my losses, and submit my other LORs in order to complete early or should I wait for it?

Members don't see this ad.

If you could post some states and ECs that would greatly help in giving you the best possible answer

What Wisdom said. Plus, now you're only looking at a ~2 week difference. If it were beginning of July, sure, but my gut says wait.

My gut is never wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you could post some states and ECs that would greatly help in giving you the best possible answer

cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.95, MCAT 33R,
Lots of shadowing, ER volunteer, TA, in some clubs, Refugee mentor, tutor inner-city kids, school sponsored tutoring, Volunteer at nursing home, 2 years of research no pubs.

wow! Your stats are above average...if i were in your position, I think that I would wait for the committee letter. Especially because Aug 31st isn't really too far from now anyway. More importantly, a lot of schools really really really REALLY want that committee letter and not having one will not look good, especially when your school has a committee to write it.

In short: Your stats and ECs are good. I think it would be wise to just wait for the committee letter but thats just me. Lets see what others think....