LOR for fellowship after working as hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JustAnotherMedStudent2000

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all-
I’m planning to take 1-2 years to work as a hospitalist prior to applying to fellowship (PCCM). I’m wondering , since fellowship LORs are supposed to be from within the past year, does this mean I can no longer use ones from residency ? Obviously the PD letter will stand and I will probably still use my research letter since I did a lot of research work during residency, but I suspect my clinical skills will improve over time as a hospitalist and wonder if it’s better to get newer clinical LORs from my job instead.
Thanks for input!
 
You should ask for your residency letter when you graduate -- much easier to write it then rather than later.

You should continue some research while a hospitalist if possible -- continuing to work with the same mentor (even if you've moved sites) would be a good option.

Clinical experience with PCCM would be best. As a hospitalist, you will have plenty of off weeks. Use them to get more experience and then LOR's. One LOR from your hospitalist group leader would be a reasonable option also.