Working nights as a hospitalist

Started by deleted1095841
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1095841

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to negotiate a contract as a hospitalist where you don't have to work any night shifts?
I'm willing to work evenings and weekends. I have a health issue where I have trouble inverting my sleep cycle.
And how does this differ between academics and private practice?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to negotiate a contract as a hospitalist where you don't have to work any night shifts?
I'm willing to work evenings and weekends. I have a health issue where I have trouble inverting my sleep cycle.
And how does this differ between academics and private practice?
Would only work out at a place that are staffed with full-time nocturnists.

At programs without full-time nocturnists, everyone will usually be expected to be rotate on nights. And even with a health issue, trying to get out of doing nights (which is usually the least desirable shift at most hospitalist programs) will come off as trying to placing the night call burden on your colleagues.

And even most places with full-time nocturnists will refuse formally write it into your contract to limit you to only day shifts, as they will want more staffing flexibility; for example if one of their full-time nocturnists leaves and they can't hire a new one in time they will want the flexibility to rotate everyone else on nights.