BabyJ

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status
So I am on a few waitlists. I have been told I am in the top 10 of a wailist for a school that admits 5-6 off the list a year. The dean of admissions has said students on the waitlist can submit an additional LOR and an update letter. Unfortunately, I just started as a research assistant in March, and don't feel comfortable already asking for a LOR. Am I at a severe competitive disadvantage with the others at the top of this waitlist, assuming that many/most get an additional LOR? If so, should I just say eff it and ask the doc for one?

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
buy the doc some nice wine/gifts, maybe ask him out to dinner to talk about the letter so he can get to know you

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
oh, and by "nice" I don't mean the most expensive **** that you see in a store. Buy something unique

OP
B

BabyJ

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status
Its not a matter of knowing me. It is a matter of asking for a LOR this early in my employment. Plus, she is secretly hoping I don't get in this cycle so I stay another year in the lab. This is why I don't feel comfortable.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Its not a matter of knowing me. It is a matter of asking for a LOR this early in my employment. Plus, she is secretly hoping I don't get in this cycle so I stay another year in the lab. This is why I don't feel comfortable.
Yeah considering you drop from a 1.5 year research assistant to a 5 month research assistant she doesn't want you to get in. I wouldn't ask for a LOR from someone who may not want you to go, you never know what she may write.

I worked in an office once and when a woman tried to get a new job and put her boss as the reference he said bad things about her so he could keep her. **** like that happens.

Theres no one else you could ask to write an LOR?

OP
B

BabyJ

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status
Yeah considering you drop from a 1.5 year research assistant to a 5 month research assistant she doesn't want you to get in. I wouldn't ask for a LOR from someone who may not want you to go, you never know what she may write.

I worked in an office once and when a woman tried to get a new job and put her boss as the reference he said bad things about her so he could keep her. **** like that happens.

Theres no one else you could ask to write an LOR?
The thing is, I turned in an extra LOR from the place I volunteered and worked at for the past 2 years. I am wondering if it would have been more beneficial to turn that rec in now, and not with the app. . .

These are the only two places I could ask for the LOR. . .

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The thing is, I turned in an extra LOR from the place I volunteered and worked at for the past 2 years. I am wondering if it would have been more beneficial to turn that rec in now, and not with the app. . .

These are the only two places I could ask for the LOR. . .
Your call really - I personally wouldn't risk it.

And yes, sometimes its helpful to hold things out so they have to rereview your file later.

Your other option is to not submit more LORs at all and just submit a well-written letter of interest.

OP
B

BabyJ

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status
Your call really - I personally wouldn't risk it.

And yes, sometimes its helpful to hold things out so they have to rereview your file later.

Your other option is to not submit more LORs at all and just submit a well-written letter of interest.
Thanks for the feedback. Sent an update letter/letter of interest which hopefully they find impactful.

OP
B

BabyJ

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status
man, I can't stop stressing about this. I feel like I will be slighted for not turning in an additional LOR.

MedGirl08

Surgeon in Training
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Moon
Status
Pre-Medical
You can also send in a very strong letter of intent (if it is your top choice). This would more than make up for the lack of a LOR.

My best friend who applied this year did that for a school and was granted another interview!