LOR from a CNP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hal1109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here and had a question about LORs from providers other than MDs.

I've spent my last year as a patient advocate in a clinic for AmeriCorps. I work with 3 providers, 2 MDs and 1 CNP. Right now, I will be getting LORs from 2 science profs and 1 of the MDs. However, I work much more frequently with our CNP and I was wondering if anyone knew if a letter from a provider other than an MD was of any value? Obviously I'll stick with my current letters, but I'll take anything that can help my app.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I'm new here and had a question about LORs from providers other than MDs.

I've spent my last year as a patient advocate in a clinic for AmeriCorps. I work with 3 providers, 2 MDs and 1 CNP. Right now, I will be getting LORs from 2 science profs and 1 of the MDs. However, I work much more frequently with our CNP and I was wondering if anyone knew if a letter from a provider other than an MD was of any value? Obviously I'll stick with my current letters, but I'll take anything that can help my app.

If the LOR is vouching for your work ethic through your role for AmeriCorps then I would use the CNP. I used a LOR from a charge RN who supervised volunteers in the EM department I was at.
I would be insane to ask one of the docs for an LOR when none of them even knew my name simply by having a letter writer with MD after their name.

Reactions: 1 users
What if the MD is someone you volunteer under? This MD is retired and performing admin duties.

Is there a risk of rubbing some of the MD's on the ADCOM the wrong way? NPs and MDs have a long and complicated history. Why take the risk? I know some older docs who would have a choice word or two to say about NPs.

Could you elaborate?
Physician letters are uniformly, blandly positive with no substance.

There are very few situations in which physicians write substantive letters for medical school. Those are instances in which they are the PI in an applicant's research or have employed the applicant and had close supervisory contact over an extended period. Rarely, they are professors who have taught in a college level course.

Physician letters are uniformly, blandly positive with no substance.

There are very few situations in which physicians write substantive letters for medical school. Those are instances in which they are the PI in an applicant's research or have employed the applicant and had close supervisory contact over an extended period. Rarely, they are professors who have taught in a college level course.

thank you

Reactions: 1 user
But, a letter from a NP is worse.
Unless they are your direct supervisor. I have one from an RN who I worked under, hasn't been a deal breaker to schools. But if OP is getting a letter for the sake of a clinician vouching for him a letter from an NP makes no sense. I would potentially ask the applicant why don't you go for an NP then?