LOR from a D.M.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamGuo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question in regards to LOR from a dentist.

I've been working at my orthodontic office for about a year now and my doctor is D.M.D/M.D, when they say a letter of recommendation letter from a general dentist, does it matter whether he is now a orthodontist?

I mean all the doctors have specialized have their D.M.D degree, so I was thinking it would be the same.

If anyone knows the answer please let me know.

Thanks guys!:)

Members don't see this ad.

D.M.D/M.D ?

thats a doctor and a dentist, i googled it and the program is really rare.

i have heard of dmd/phd and md/phd but never dmd/md

anyone else shed light on this?

D.M.D/M.D ?

thats a doctor and a dentist, i googled it and the program is really rare.

i have heard of dmd/phd and md/phd but never dmd/md

anyone else shed light on this?

I think case western offers a dmd/md program. However, have you considered the possibility that this particular person attended dental school and medical school on separate occasions

Members don't see this ad :)
my bad. He's a M.S., Ph.D., D.M.D, he has so many I made a mistake. kk
He got his degree from U penn.

Anyways, but the question is would LOR from him be equivalent to a LOR from a general dentist?

He is a D.M.D. but not doing general dentistry, so I am just curious whether that matters or not.

my bad. He's a M.S., Ph.D., D.M.D, he has so many I made a mistake. kk
He got his degree from U penn.

Anyways, but the question is would LOR from him be equivalent to a LOR from a general dentist?

He is a D.M.D. but not doing general dentistry, so I am just curious whether that matters or not.

Just remember you're going to dental school to become a general dentist. though you may have plans to specialize, securing a spot in a speciality residency is highly competitive and unlikely. Adcoms to undergrad dental programs want to make sure you are committed to all aspects of dentistry (gen dentistry) and want you to focus your attention on general dentistry. Thats why they require such an LOR. I'm not saying a specialty LOR is a bad thing, but if they specifically ask for a GP LOR then thats what you should submit. so the answer to your question is no, it would not suffice.

Just remember you're going to dental school to become a general dentist. though you may have plans to specialize, securing a spot in a speciality residency is highly competitive and unlikely. Adcoms to undergrad dental programs want to make sure you are committed to all aspects of dentistry (gen dentistry) and want you to focus your attention on general dentistry. Thats why they require such an LOR. I'm not saying a specialty LOR is a bad thing, but if they specifically ask for a GP LOR then thats what you should submit. so the answer to your question is no, it would not suffice.
Will a letter from someone who isn't a general dentist meet the requirement of having a letter from a general dentist? Probably not.

I see your point. Thank you!
I will use my LOR from my dentist and the orthodontist whom I work for. :)

Unless the school specifically asks for LOR from a Gen. Dentist, then get LOR from a general dentist. My LOR came from a pediatric dentist and it didn't give me any trouble.