LOR from a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bamish

Tired and old today
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I shadowed a DO recently and had a wonderful time. Monday I got a call from his secretary wanting my mailing address so I could be mailed a copy of the LOR he wrote. I told her it was supposed to be confidential, she said they were aware of that but the doctor likes to send a copy out to the volunteer anyway.

I got the copy from his office today and although I thought we got along well, I feel the letter is less than spectacular--so I was a little disappointed.

Anyway, is this a normal thing-to be sent a copy of the letter from the doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I shadowed a DO recently and had a wonderful time. Monday I got a call from his secretary wanting my mailing address so I could be mailed a copy of the LOR he wrote. I told her it was supposed to be confidential, she said they were aware of that but the doctor likes to send a copy out to the volunteer anyway.

I got the copy from his office today and although I thought we got along well, I feel the letter is less than spectacular--so I was a little disappointed.

Anyway, is this a normal thing-to be sent a copy of the letter from the doctor?

Some people do this, yes. When I wrote a letter for someone, I sent him one. Others do the same. However, my letter was glowing.

This is annoying though. Now you have an unsolicited irritation. It doesn't say anything negative, though, right? It's just unremarkable?

I think it's just unremarkable. Any chance if I sent you a pm of it you could tell me what you think? I would appreciate an outsiders view of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a doctor that I've known for 3 years (I'm a nurse in a hospital where we sees patients) and I got a two paragraph generic ass letter from him. But I sent it to schools anyway. I figure they'll atleast think it's authentic b/c no student would write a letter on their own behalf that wasn't like a page long and full of all these adjectives. meh.

My boss gave me a copy of a LOR too (not a doctor) and he used about ten words on the entire page (but the company logo was nice and big). I guess I'm not too concerned cause I just needed it to get my premed committee off their asses. I'll get better ones later.

I shadowed a doctor that I've known for 3 years (I'm a nurse in a hospital where we sees patients) and I got a two paragraph generic ass letter from him. But I sent it to schools anyway. I figure they'll atleast think it's authentic b/c no student would write a letter on their own behalf that wasn't like a page long and full of all these adjectives. meh.

I'm sorry to hear about your letter, it's really disheartening isn't it. I don't mind trying to find another DO to shadow (I had a great time) and getting a letter from them if needed. I just worry that the next letter may be worse than this one..and I would never know it. :scared:

Thanks for the pm CB. I typed it in word and I might have made a mistake or two, but it's pretty much word for word from his letter. Anyway, sent..and I appreciate it! :)

hmm. now i'm worried about the quality of my letters! all i know is that my non science letter comes from one of my favorite professors, who did tell me she sent in a "glowing letter of recommendation." but i'm sure science and physician letters are more focused on. oh well, nothing can be done now.

What about a typo in a LOR that is otherwise...above average?

What about a typo in a LOR that is otherwise...above average?

This does NOT reflect poorly on you and is VERY COMMON. This is especially common with profs and docs whose first language is not English. Don't worry even a little bit, as long as the content is good. Now, if the letter turns into a jumbled mess of illegible garbage, you might want to do something about it. :thumbup: