LOR from a former med student/current TA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phenol312

That's no moon...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could chime in on whether or not this would be beneficial. Especially since he was a student at a med school to which I have applied. And no, this person did not fail out they left med school to pursue research/teaching and they are a TA for A&P and A&P lab.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone could chime in on whether or not this would be beneficial. Especially since he was a student at a med school to which I have applied. And no, this person did not fail out they left med school to pursue research/teaching and they are a TA for A&P and A&P lab.

Getting a letter or reference from a TA is typically frowned upon, especially since he did leave medical school to pursue other options. The only times in which it would be okay is if the TA writes a letter for you and gets it signed by his superior/a PI that you have also worked for.

It may work for a peer letter, but I would recommend getting it from university instructors/professors who either have taught you or have supervised your research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely my opinion: I wouldn't submit a letter from a TA. Believe me, I know how tough it is to scare up rec letters. But focus your efforts elsewhere.

I have a similar situation in that i would like a LOR from my TA, but he has 4 phds so would that help at all or should I stay away

All of these opinions are unfounded. Your TAs can write you LORs and in some cases it can be better to ask a GTA who knows you well over a professor who doesn't know you at all. Committee members understand that schools often make liberal use of GTAs for your pre-rec science classes and that you may have no other options. This TA is not going to mention that he dropped out of medical school on his recommendation letter and the committee members are not going to look up his name and find this out, even if it mattered to them.

I have never heard of a person in authority (that is, someone on an admissions committee) or a medical school state that you should avoid letters of recommendation from GTAs. This seems to be an invention in the minds of pre-meds.

I have never heard of a person in authority (that is, someone on an admissions committee) or a medical school state that you should avoid letters of recommendation from GTAs.
This is a logical fallacy known as an Appeal to Ignorance. The fact that you have never heard them say it does not prove the converse true.

This is a logical fallacy known as an Appeal to Ignorance. The fact that you have never heard them say it does not prove the converse true.

So? Produce someone of authority who says this!

I have also never seen pink elephants. Do they exist?

This thread is a logical fallacy. It's called the blind leading the blind.

an LOR from a professor carries more weight than an LOR from a grad student/TA.

but a good LOR from a TA is better than a bad LOR from a prof.

my opinion.

PS: if you going to get an LOR from a TA, try getting the professor to co-sign. i've had this done before.