Letter of support from current med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroticpremed1999

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing great. I am currently waitlisted at my alma mater and dream school. I have a friend who is an M3 and is involved in admissions at this school. He very graciously and generously offered to write me a letter to the adcom supporting my application as he had heard from some of his friends that this could be helpful.

I wanted to ask what is the opinion on this? I thought it could be helpful as he knows them and works in the admissions office so they probably value his opinion. Thoughts? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine that would be helpful. At this point, I can tell you as someone who handles waitlists (not med school but grad programs), if there aren't any seats, there aren't any seats no matter who write the letter.

If the school accepts up-dates or letters of interest, it behooves you to send one but additional letters on your behalf aren't going to open up seats at your dream school. You'd be better off starting a rumor that the school is changing its curriculum to self-guided learning operated by AI. That might open up a seat for you /jk

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I can't imagine that would be helpful. At this point, I can tell you as someone who handles waitlists (not med school but grad programs), if there aren't any seats, there aren't any seats no matter who write the letter.

If the school accepts up-dates or letters of interest, it behooves you to send one but additional letters on your behalf aren't going to open up seats at your dream school. You'd be better off starting a rumor that the school is changing its curriculum to self-guided learning operated by AI. That might open up a seat for you /jk
Thanks for your reply! I know that seats won't magically open up, I was thinking it would be helpful in the sense that once someone withdraws and that seat is open, I may be considered for it more closely than perhaps i was previously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either you are next on a ranked list, or you are on an unranked list but considered "most likely to say yes". There are also circumstances where the person in decision making mode will try to balance a class by strategic use of the waitlist and if you aren't what they are looking for, you are less likely to get the nod. ("No one from a specific geographic section of the state accepted our offer - we should reach out to others from that area", stuff like that.)

If it is a public school, they likely have created a rank list for the WL and that does not get changed at all once it is created. Even for a private school with an unranked list, it would be of little to no value.

To this point, there has been only one school I recall that wanted to know if you knew a current student and they put this question on the secondary as I assume they would try to invite the student to join the interview if one was extended. I don't think it was meant to play a role beyond that.

I have a friend who is an M3 and is involved in admissions at this school. He very graciously and generously offered to write me a letter to the adcom supporting my application as he had heard from some of his friends that this could be helpful.
How is he involved in admissions? He can try to give the admissions staff a good word for you, but don't expect more.

How is he involved in admissions? He can try to give the admissions staff a good word for you, but don't expect more.
As far as I know, he conducts interviews and has some say in admissions. Additionally, the director of admissions told him they “welcome letters of support” for applicants when he asked today

As far as I know, he conducts interviews and has some say in admissions. Additionally, the director of admissions told him they “welcome letters of support” for applicants when he asked today
Well if this person knows you that well, you might as well try. It's just a courtesy but it shouldn't hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
Given this information, I can't see how it would possibly hurt even if it's not a huge benefit?