LOR from best friends father MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickmx50

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My best friends father has known me for about 25 years. He is a retired doctor and was professor emeritus at a medical school. He really knows a lot about me and my character. Considerably more than any professor would know. If I had him write a LOR for me would that be looked at objectively by an admissions committee? I'm going to use the pre-health advisory board at my school, but I think they include copies of all the letters they receive. I don't want to come across that it's not a deserving LOR just cause he has known me for so long. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, it would be just fine as a supplementary LOR. I'm doing basically the same thing. I agree that he will be able to give a deeper insight that a prof. would. When it coms down to it, his recommendation will pull more weight because of his knowledge you of as an individual. Your ability as a student and worth ethic is displayed in your GPA and EC.

Reactions: 1 user
If he states what his relation is to you, it would not look good. Even if he doesn't, what does he have to say about you? That he's been my son's best friend and he's a good boy so please accept him? Unless you have done research or shadowed with him, I do not think an LOR from him would be of any value. He needs to have some objective measure upon which to evaluate you. This is just my opinion though.