LOR from someone I volunteer for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!
So I meet with a "Buddy" who has survived a stroke and has aphasia. We chat a little and play games to combat the isolation that is common following brain injury.
I have been meeting with him and his wife for 2 years, and she has said that our meetings are the highlight of their week. She is very fond of me and thinks I will make a great doctor. Also, she is a writer.
If you were me, would you submit a letter from her? I am concerned that because she has no "credentials," adcoms may not be able to verify what she says.
Thank you!

Edit: It's part of what I do for a student-run organization that I am president of.
 
Last edited:
Hello!
So I meet with a "Buddy" who has survived a stroke and has aphasia. We chat a little and play games to combat the isolation that is common following brain injury.
I have been meeting with him and his wife for 2 years, and she has said that our meetings are the highlight of their week. She is very fond of me and thinks I will make a great doctor. Also, she is a writer.
If you were me, would you submit a letter from her? I am concerned that because she has no "credentials," adcoms may not be able to verify what she says.
Thank you!

Edit: It's part of what I do for a student-run organization that I am president of.
I appreciate character references but they provide little value. Furthermore, it is not appropriate for a letter of evaluation. The relationship is not one reflecting a mentoring or academic relationship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have 2 science, 2 non-science (1 humanities, 1 public health), 1 from PI (not a close relationship), 1 from employer (non-clinical).
Not sure if I will use them all, just what I have collected!
I would not use the letter for the same reasons as Mr. Smile mentioned.

You can safely leave out the PI letter too.
 
Last edited: