LOR from CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toyotasupra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I use letters of recommendation from a community college science professor? Does it weigh less then one from a university professor?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question. I don't think a LOR from a community college professor carries any less weight than a LOR from a university professor. I'd be more concerned with which schools accept or don't accept community college credits.

Both of my science faculty LORs came from community college professors, and I was accepted to multiple schools. I think a strong LOR is more important than which school it comes from. Just make sure you've done the research on which schools accept/don't accept community college credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must also believe that getting hired to teach at a CC is just as easy as getting hired to teach at a university.

This past year I lacked LORs.... well I'll be honest, my microbiology/chemistry university professors flaked out last minute and vanished off the face of the planet; so I ended up scrambling desperately for mediocre LORs. So this spring I'm going to take some CC science classes and get decent LORs for the upcoming cycle; as I can't afford to take them from a local university (paying out of pocket and no financial aid assistance). CC $84 per credit vs University $173 per credit.

BTW all my dental pre-reqs were taken at a university.

Last edited:
it seems like the heft from a letter of reference would come from how well the writer knows you, not how well they're known. its all about relationships...just like it seems to be in the "real world."

it seems like the heft from a letter of reference would come from how well the writer knows you, not how well they're known. its all about relationships...just like it seems to be in the "real world."

Grandmother may know you real well and certainly much better than all the professors combined, but she is unlikely to be the most qualified person to make a judgement on how well you can handle the academic environment.

that might be funny if my grandma was still living. i have no idea why sdn gives you a "Say Anything" pass. statistics are readily available without sarcasm via google.

that might be funny if my grandma was still living. i have no idea why sdn gives you a "Say Anything" pass. statistics are readily available without sarcasm via google.

That would be the "you" from your post and it would be in the plural.

Last edited: