LOR from current boss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmf243

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wanting a LOR from my current director of my laboratory as she is fairly known in some certain health fields, especially at the local med schools where i will be applying. I have been working full-time here for 3 years and want to continue working here at least half-time during first 2 years of med school. Do you think this is a good idea? I have a good rapport with her and she has said before that she thought i would be a good candidate for a doctorate or M.D. program. I dont want to screw up current work conditions but i think she would give me a strong LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wanting a LOR from my current director of my laboratory as she is fairly known in some certain health fields, especially at the local med schools where i will be applying. I have been working full-time here for 3 years and want to continue working here at least half-time during first 2 years of med school. Do you think this is a good idea? I have a good rapport with her and she has said before that she thought i would be a good candidate for a doctorate or M.D. program. I dont want to screw up current work conditions but i think she would give me a strong LOR.

I think it would be a good idea since this is research related. She could even write two letters, one general for all schools and another stating you would be perfect for X school of medicine and assign that letter to your local medical school. Only send one in at a time to AMCAS though so you won't screw up assigning letters to schools.

What makes you think this wouldn't be a good idea? It's a research letter and the writer already offered to write it for you, so you know it's going to be great. Of course you should use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I know it would be good to use the letter but if I do not get into med school I still need this job as I am married and need to contribute to our mortgage and do not want to rock the boat at work. I have been out of undergrad for 6 years and will be using grad school profs for 2 LOR but need a couple more and basically need to use my boss. I just wanted some opinions and I thank you for yours.

Thanks for the replies. I know it would be good to use the letter but if I do not get into med school I still need this job as I am married and need to contribute to our mortgage and do not want to rock the boat at work. I have been out of undergrad for 6 years and will be using grad school profs for 2 LOR but need a couple more and basically need to use my boss. I just wanted some opinions and I thank you for yours.

If you're worried that your boss won't want to keep you around now that they know you're intending to go to med school, don't be. Every PI I've known expects their techs to eventually go on to grad school one day.

Chances are you will not be fired for asking for a LOR. And if you tell them you would like to continue working if you get into your local SOM, then I really doubt you will be fired. If you feel like they could write you an amazing LOR then you are probably a hard worker and they like you. I am pretty sure your boss would love to see you go to medical school even if that means leaving them.

Chances are you will not be fired for asking for a LOR. And if you tell them you would like to continue working if you get into your local SOM, then I really doubt you will be fired. If you feel like they could write you an amazing LOR then you are probably a hard worker and they like you. I am pretty sure your boss would love to see you go to medical school even if that means leaving them.

Agreed.

My boss's two daughters are in medical school. When I told him I would be applying, he went into papabear mode and went above and beyond to help me succeed. Who knows? She may end up being more helpful than you could imagine.