This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 LOR from 2 DOs (in addition to my other letters). My one letter is from the DO I work for, and the other letter is from a DO I shadowed (who happens to be my relative). AACOMAS already sent all my letters to my schools. My question is, should I reach out to those schools and notify them that the one letter writer is my relative? I'm not trying to hide it, but we have a different last name and not all the supplemental applications have a space where they ask about relatives that are DOs. Do you think my application would be thrown out because of this, even though I have the other letter of rec from the other DO (personally I think my second letter from my DO employer is stronger anyway)?

Members don't see this ad.

But you can do that if you want. It's been a while since I applied so I don't remember is they disallow family members writing a LoR

Members don't see this ad :)
But you can do that if you want. It's been a while since I applied so I don't remember is they disallow family members writing a LoR
Most schools do say that they will not accept a letter from a relative. I should still meet requirements because I have the other LOR, I was just wondering if this would still make my application look poor because I submitted the relative LOR?

Most schools do say that they will not accept a letter from a relative. I should still meet requirements because I have the other LOR, I was just wondering if this would still make my application look poor because I submitted the relative LOR?

How close is the relative

He's my uncle

I'd give them a friendly reminder since he's so close. Like you said, you have another letter so you won't be disqualified but it would be the truthful thing to do

Reactions: 1 user
So I have 2 LOR from 2 DOs (in addition to my other letters). My one letter is from the DO I work for, and the other letter is from a DO I shadowed (who happens to be my relative). AACOMAS already sent all my letters to my schools. My question is, should I reach out to those schools and notify them that the one letter writer is my relative? I'm not trying to hide it, but we have a different last name and not all the supplemental applications have a space where they ask about relatives that are DOs. Do you think my application would be thrown out because of this, even though I have the other letter of rec from the other DO (personally I think my second letter from my DO employer is stronger anyway)?
You had better notify AACOMAS that one of the LOR writers is a relative. If we get wind of this, and you don't mention it, you will not only get rejected, AACOMAS would be notified of your duplicity. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion.

Reactions: 1 user
You had better notify AACOMAS that one of the LOR writers is a relative. If we get wind of this, and you don't mention it, you will not only get rejected, AACOMAS would be notified of your duplicity. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion.

OK, I will definitely update my application then. Since I already submitted my AACOMAS application, the optional section to write down relatives in medicine is locked. Would you suggest reaching out to the programs I have applied to and notifying them individually? Or calling AACOMAS? And do you think schools would reject me after I reach out, even though I have the other non-relative DO letter?

Sorry, freaking out a bit here and wondering what to do next. Is my application toast? Do I have a chance once I reach out to these schools?

Sorry, freaking out a bit here and wondering what to do next. Is my application toast? Do I have a chance once I reach out to these schools?
Your application isn't toast. You do have a chance once you reach out. Is your other DO LOR included in your app?

Your application isn't toast. You do have a chance once you reach out. Is your other DO LOR included in your app?
Yes the other DO letter is included in my app. I'm just nervous that now schools are going to reject me after I notify them about this. It is definitely the right thing to do and I didn't realize that letters from relatives are frowned upon. I just want to clear my conscious and send an email to each school.

Yes the other DO letter is included in my app. I'm just nervous that now schools are going to reject me after I notify them about this. It is definitely the right thing to do and I didn't realize that letters from relatives are frowned upon. I just want to clear my conscious and send an email to each school.
I think this is a good idea. I highly doubt you'll be rejected at schools. Just be honest and tell them you didn't realize this was a problem.

I think this is a good idea. I highly doubt you'll be rejected at schools. Just be honest and tell them you didn't realize this was a problem.
That's what I was thinking. The part of the AACOMAS app that asks about relatives in medicine is locked after submission, so I don't think AACOMAS would be able to help me much. Think I'm better off reaching out to each school individually?

That's what I was thinking. The part of the AACOMAS app that asks about relatives in medicine is locked after submission, so I don't think AACOMAS would be able to help me much. Think I'm better off reaching out to each school individually?
Maybe just reach out to both. I would say individual schools first.

Maybe just reach out to both. I would say individual schools first.
Yeah good idea. I can always calls AACOMAS on Monday. Well here's to hoping they still fully consider my application! Thanks for your advice