Nosa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
hey guys!

i'm a 4th year doing an EM rotation now and getting my two EM letters from this month. however, i am thinking of doing another Emed rotation in september just cause it's fun and supposed to be an awesome site. my question is this: i plan to submit eras at or around sept 1. do residencies still like to see at least one LOR from each ED that you rotated in? or will i be ok not getting a letter from this sept month?

thanks! you guys are always helpful!

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Nosa said:
hey guys!

i'm a 4th year doing an EM rotation now and getting my two EM letters from this month. however, i am thinking of doing another Emed rotation in september just cause it's fun and supposed to be an awesome site. my question is this: i plan to submit eras at or around sept 1. do residencies still like to see at least one LOR from each ED that you rotated in? or will i be ok not getting a letter from this sept month?

thanks! you guys are always helpful!
You will almost surely be helped by two letters from different places. If you didn't get one from each, a very alert PD might wonder why. (not me of course)

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
BKN said:
You will almost surely be helped by two letters from different places. If you didn't get one from each, a very alert PD might wonder why. (not me of course)
Would it be assumed that you will get one later in the month and will send it in? In the OP's situation (which will also be my situation), letters will be ready from the August rotation but will have to wait for the Sept. rotation letters until after submitting my app.? Should I (or we) just submit 2 letters when applying and the last one will be assumed to be on the way?

Thanks.

About the Ads

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
trkd said:
Would it be assumed that you will get one later in the month and will send it in? In the OP's situation (which will also be my situation), letters will be ready from the August rotation but will have to wait for the Sept. rotation letters until after submitting my app.? Should I (or we) just submit 2 letters when applying and the last one will be assumed to be on the way?

Thanks.
We are very familiar with the late faculty syndrome. We expect letters to trickle in throughout the season.

substanceP

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
the USA
Status
Attending Physician
BKN said:
We are very familiar with the late faculty syndrome. We expect letters to trickle in throughout the season.

Ditto what trkd said. I was wondering the same thing.

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hi BKN,

Thought I'd throw my hat into this discussion and ask you about the SLOR. I plan on getting one - is that enough. In your view, what is the role of and how important is the SLOR? Any further advice would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Valsalva

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
VALSALVA said:
Hi BKN,

Thought I'd throw my hat into this discussion and ask you about the SLOR. I plan on getting one - is that enough. In your view, what is the role of and how important is the SLOR? Any further advice would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Valsalva
Might be a little time for a response - he's out of country on vacation!

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Apollyon said:
Might be a little time for a response - he's out of country on vacation!
Thanx Apollyon! Gosh...I wish I was out of the country on vacation!

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
VALSALVA said:
Hi BKN,

Thanks,

Valsalva
I'm back.

The SLORs are the most important part of an EM app. PDs are interested in grades, scores, dean's letters and the rest, but the SLOR is a special letter between EM academics. We look for special potential in multitasking and interpersonal skills, and these are not well reflected in the rest of the package.

One good SLOR is usually enough, but at the margin, 2 from different programs can be helpful.

About the Ads