LOR from Mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClamChowderrr

Black. No cream. No sugar.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My mentor happens to be a world renowned researcher(MD/PHD), even though I didn't meet him in an academic/professional setting, he is willing to write a letter for me. Can this letter carry any weight in the admission process? What would it even be considered if I did use it? Help.

Sidenote: He is the senior advisor/prof for the COM at the state school I graduated from
No. He may be "world renowned" to you, but not to other people.

Testimonials aren't as good as LORs from people who can attest to your intellect and work ethic, like, radically enough, your professors.

No. He may be "world renowned" to you, but not to other people.

Testimonials aren't as good as LORs from people who can attest to your intellect and work ethic, like, radically enough, your professors.

Hmm, thanks for the input. Granted I don't agree with assumption that professors could attest to anything more than a grade and what class you took with them.

You call him your rmentor but didnt meet in academic or professional setting; what is the nature of your relationship?

An academic advisor, just has not been my professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
If all you did was sit in class, then that's the type of LOR you can expect, and deserve.

Goro, you're 1000% right. Thanks again for the input.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless he's Stephen Hawking, nobody outside of his field probably has any idea who he is.
Even if he has his own PBS special and is a regular consultant on CNN, nobody probably knows who he is, outside of his institution and circle of course.
That kind of connection is Gold for residency in the field though.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 1 user