Last edited:

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My mentor happens to be a world renowned researcher(MD/PHD), even though I didn't meet him in an academic/professional setting, he is willing to write a letter for me. Can this letter carry any weight in the admission process? What would it even be considered if I did use it? Help.

Sidenote: He is the senior advisor/prof for the COM at the state school I graduated from
No. He may be "world renowned" to you, but not to other people.

Testimonials aren't as good as LORs from people who can attest to your intellect and work ethic, like, radically enough, your professors.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
You call him your mentor but didnt meet in academic or professional setting; what is the nature of your relationship?

Last edited:
About the Ads
OP
ClamChowderrr

ClamChowderrr

Black. No cream. No sugar.
2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
No. He may be "world renowned" to you, but not to other people.

Testimonials aren't as good as LORs from people who can attest to your intellect and work ethic, like, radically enough, your professors.
Hmm, thanks for the input. Granted I don't agree with assumption that professors could attest to anything more than a grade and what class you took with them.

You call him your rmentor but didnt meet in academic or professional setting; what is the nature of your relationship?
An academic advisor, just has not been my professor.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hmm, thanks for the input. Granted I don't agree with assumption that professors could attest to anything more than a grade and what class you took with them.
If all you did was sit in class, then that's the type of LOR you can expect, and deserve.

OP
ClamChowderrr

ClamChowderrr

Black. No cream. No sugar.
2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If all you did was sit in class, then that's the type of LOR you can expect, and deserve.
Goro, you're 1000% right. Thanks again for the input.

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

An academic advisor, just has not been my professor.
If its been an academic advisor who has followed you for sometime and you have more than a passing "take this course" connection, then you may have the depth of history where he/she can speak of your academic progress etc. however, their own "renown" reputation has nearly nothing to do with it.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Unless he's Stephen Hawking, nobody outside of his field probably has any idea who he is.
Even if he has his own PBS special and is a regular consultant on CNN, nobody probably knows who he is, outside of his institution and circle of course.
That kind of connection is Gold for residency in the field though.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: ClamChowderrr
About the Ads