LOR from professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasure_island

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i decided to apply this june, but in order to get one of the science LORs, i know that u have to somehow "establish a bond" from the professor. today (the beginning of the quarter) i went to his first office hours session, and will continue to do so throughout the quarter, so he'll get to know me better. my problem though is that i haven't introduced myself to him at all, i just said hi how r u and asked my questions regarding the class. was that rude at all or is he gonna write me a good LOR anyway if i continue to go to his office hours every week?

Members don't see this ad.

treasure_island said:
i decided to apply this june, but in order to get one of the science LORs, i know that u have to somehow "establish a bond" from the professor. today (the beginning of the quarter) i went to his first office hours session, and will continue to do so throughout the quarter, so he'll get to know me better. my problem though is that i haven't introduced myself to him at all, i just said hi how r u and asked my questions regarding the class. was that rude at all or is he gonna write me a good LOR anyway if i continue to go to his office hours every week?

It's a great start - don't worry! Trust me, if you do well in class, are on time, and contribute to lectures (e.g. answer a question if he throws one out, etc.) he will know exactly who you are and get a good feeling for what kind of person/student you are as well. I wouldn't hound him - in my opinion you can accomplish your goal via being visible and a good student. If the professor offers any research opportunities then jump on them. Attend lectures from visiting professionals (he'll probably be there too and besides being exposing you to some outside research your presence will probably bode well in his mind). Become active in the department, join a club, and so on. Besides directly interacting with your professor, such as during office hours or after lecture questions, these are some indirect ways in which you can engender a positive image in his eyes, as well as other professors should you need to approach others for more LOR's. Best of luck! :thumbup:

From my experience...
sit in the front...
always look interested...
joke around with him/her during their office hours...

Of course this can be hard if they're not the jokester type...in that case, really be interested in what they teach...

Professors are usually just like ordinary humans, heh, and infact like to establish friendly bonds with their students. You'll be alright...you seem off to an excellent start. You may want to introduce yourself formally and tell him or her your future goals. Good luck.