LOR from Residency Program Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acadia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for a dual residency (peds and a specialty), and also for categorical peds. I got an LOR from the "specialty" program director. Do I send it back to that same program at my own school? Or better to send letters from other people?

I mean, if it's a committee making the decision on the combined program, I'm sure that person will speak for me. Will they be offended that I didn't send in their own letter? Or better to use that space for another letter, from someone who's not sitting on the committee? Does that make any sense?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are worried about nothing. That program is going to rank you based upon their own experiences with you, not on some random letters you've acquired. We use LOR's to help assess a student's skills because, in most cases, we can't assess those skills ourselves. So, I'd say it really doesn't matter, and therefore I'd send the PD LOR to them because, who knows, maybe he/she would be offended (but I highly doubt it).

You could, at your interview, offer to send them another letter if they want.

Who me, worry about nothing - never! :) Thanks for the input!

I think you are worried about nothing. That program is going to rank you based upon their own experiences with you, not on some random letters you've acquired. We use LOR's to help assess a student's skills because, in most cases, we can't assess those skills ourselves. So, I'd say it really doesn't matter, and therefore I'd send the PD LOR to them because, who knows, maybe he/she would be offended (but I highly doubt it).

You could, at your interview, offer to send them another letter if they want.

That is smart! But how do you recommend bringing that letter?
Should I have the letter writer sign and seal and the sign the envelope times 'x' copies? (That sounds like a huge favor/inconvenience to ask of a faculty member, but maybe that's the way to go ???)

I just don't want to go to the interview with my open-faced letter without all the signatures/security-devices and lead my interviewers to think that I could have tampered with this new letter they've never seen, and thus having them not put much weight in an otherwise really awesome letter.

Or am I just over-analyzing ?

I'd really appreciate your advice on this one!

That is smart! But how do you recommend bringing that letter?
Should I have the letter writer sign and seal and the sign the envelope times 'x' copies? (That sounds like a huge favor/inconvenience to ask of a faculty member, but maybe that's the way to go ???)

I just don't want to go to the interview with my open-faced letter without all the signatures/security-devices and lead my interviewers to think that I could have tampered with this new letter they've never seen, and thus having them not put much weight in an otherwise really awesome letter.

Or am I just over-analyzing ?

I'd really appreciate your advice on this one!
Send the letter via ERAS, as usual.

Send the letter via ERAS, as usual.

Wow thanks for the prompt reply!

But what if you already assigned 4 letters per program through ERAS?
Isn't that the ERAS limit?

I have a really awesome 5th letter from a PhD mentor, but was advised by my own program director to use my other letters from the Chair, Associate Chair, another attending, and the program director from another institution.

What would be the best way to present my 5th letter?

Or would showing in any way my 5th letter be detrimental to my application?

Wow thanks for the prompt reply!

But what if you already assigned 4 letters per program through ERAS?
Isn't that the ERAS limit?

I have a really awesome 5th letter from a PhD mentor, but was advised by my own program director to use my other letters from the Chair, Associate Chair, another attending, and the program director from another institution.

What would be the best way to present my 5th letter?

Or would showing in any way my 5th letter be detrimental to my application?

just an idea but maybe you can send the "other PD" letter to programs specific to certain regions (ie for programs close to "other PD"'s region) and use the research letter for all others.

But if PD's in the pediatric specialty all know each other, or if it's from big name program, might be more useful to use the other PD letter, instead of the research one.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=761775

"You can de-assign letters, and then add more letters. However, just because you CAN do this doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. In fact, I highly suggest you do not do this.

Additional LOR's will really not change your application much.

If you have new pubs, you should definitely bring that with you.

If you have a new Step 2 score, release it via ERAS. Do not bring a copy of your score report.

If you have new grades, you can either bring them or have your school re-upload your transcript (if they are willing to do so). " - aPD