LOR from RN or MD... military twist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CockerelOnTop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several of the schools I am applying from request the following:

For those out of undergraduate school for one year or greater and employed or in military service, provide a letter of evaluation from your immediate supervisor or commanding officer.

Currently I am a military officer in a healthcare field. The hospital commander is an RN. We do have a Chief Medical Officer of the hospital who is an MD and of the same rank (Colonel). In my mind the CMO may be a better LOR due to career path. Any thoughts on who would be most appropriate?

Members don't see this ad.

For those out of undergraduate school for one year or greater and employed or in military service, provide a letter of evaluation from your immediate supervisor or commanding officer.

Currently I am a military officer in a healthcare field. The hospital commander is an RN. We do have a Chief Medical Officer of the hospital who is an MD and of the same rank (Colonel). In my mind the CMO may be a better LOR due to career path. Any thoughts on who would be most appropriate?

Probably the MD.

But, honestly, I'd go with the one that you think knows you better/would write you a glowing LOR.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're applying to med school always go with an MD LOR if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Chief Medical Officer is not your supervisor, is he? Far better to have your commanding officer, who is also likely to have access to your files, than someone of a similar military rank who does not know you professionally in as great detail.

Reactions: 4 users
The Chief Medical Officer is not your supervisor, is he? Far better to have your commanding officer, who is also likely to have access to your files, than someone of a similar military rank who does not know you professionally in as great detail.

It'd be dependent on which lane OP falls under in the hospital command structure (and the command climate of the particular organization). It's not common that a hospital commander has any real relationship with individuals outside of his/her administration since they're so ridiculously busy.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems to me the schools are asking for a letter from you commanding officer not necessarily a physician's letter of recommendation. For this letter in particular it does not matter that the letter writer be a physician or nurse or whatever. It just needs to be the officer who has responsibly to oversee your work in your chain of command. I would still get your chief medical officer to write you a LOR but just not for this particular requirement.

@LizzyM
Both are technically in my supervisory lane. I am the chief of a clinic in the hospital so I turn to the CMO for all clinical issues. My Commander (RN) has final say in all areas to include clinical issues. Both know me well as clinic chief and from my service in some high profile (within the hospital that is) additional duties. I can ask for one from both. I know both of them through more administrative interactions (think HR issues, access to care, billing optimization) than clinically.

My first LOR is from the former program director of my doctorate program who is now the director of a specialty care center (PhD).

I was going to have my second be from the orthopedic surgeon I trained under for a residency and that now works in my clinic. I can replace this with the GMO, but the ortho doc and I work together (OR and in clinic) 3 days a week for past 2 years so he will have very good input.

The third will be either the commander or GMO. As a Texas applicant, 2 required letters with a 3rd optional is what I was advised by TMDSAS

Last edited:
@gonnif thank you for that clarification. And thank you all for your input. I absolutely appreciate you taking the time to help. I will contact my Hospital commander and likely forego the LOR from my CMO as the others will likely be stronger.

Simple question, that many who haven't served in the military wouldn't think to ask. Who writes your OER? I would go with either your rater or senior rater for writing an LOR. I went with my senior rater because I had worked with him longer than my rater.

Simple question, that many who haven't served in the military wouldn't think to ask. Who writes your OER? I would go with either your rater or senior rater for writing an LOR. I went with my senior rater because I had worked with him longer than my rater.

The CMO was my rater until January, Commander is senior rater. My new rater is some lane deputy off on the red carpet that I barely know. I have reflected on everyone's input and decided to go with my Commander. I appreciate the input.

upload_2016-2-18_11-16-41.png

@frosted_flake I would do both but they only accept 3 letters at TMDSAS and I believe the director of my doctoral program and the surgeon in my clinic will have better input than my CMO or commander. For that reason, I was only going to choose one of the two.

@frosted_flake I would do both but they only accept 3 letters at TMDSAS and I believe the director of my doctoral program and the surgeon in my clinic will have better input than my CMO or commander. For that reason, I was only going to choose one of the two.
I see.
Thank you for your service, and good luck applying!