LOR from Stat Professor counts as Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have very solid LORs from one science (Anatomy/Bio) professor and lots of really strong other LORs. I am struggling to find my second Science letter. Can I consider asking my stats professor to write one? I do have a LOR from my PI who I got a publication under (and she was technically my instructor for the science research course credit)..but I don't think that can ever count as a Science LOR right? Does my statistics professor count considering Stats is under "Math" which is technically BCPM gpa for AMCAS purposes?

Members don't see this ad.

I have very solid LORs from one science (Anatomy/Bio) professor and lots of really strong other LORs. I am struggling to find my second Science letter. Can I consider asking my stats professor to write one? I do have a LOR from my PI who I got a publication under (and she was technically my instructor for the science research course credit)..but I don't think that can ever count as a Science LOR right? Does my statistics professor count considering Stats is under "Math" which is technically BCPM gpa for AMCAS purposes?

Typically, medical schools look for letters from at least two professors who taught you in the sciences, and though they might not care, you'd be safer getting another letter from a professor who taught either one of your pre-medical courses or an upper-level science course.

Typically, medical schools look for letters from at least two professors who taught you in the sciences, and though they might not care, you'd be safer getting another letter from a professor who taught either one of your pre-medical courses or an upper-level science course.

Isn't stats considered a BCPM? what's the problem?

Members don't see this ad :)

I called schools up last year with the same question regarding whether my math professor LOR would count towards the 2nd science LOR, and some schools said that would be fine and their requirements were loose guidelines, but others said that I should get an additional "strictly science" LOR. I ended up just sending in my math LOR to everyone anyways and as far as I know that was totally fine at all the schools I applied to.

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying this cycle and I used a Biostats letter as my second science letter. I applied to 25 schools and the only school with an issue was NYMC, who says on their website that math is not an acceptable science letter. I called admissions and the person on the phone suggested I fill out my secondary application anyways. I was invited to interview there, so stats is fine!

Reactions: 1 user