LOR from young or old DPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Certified Corsair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have shadowed an older (60s) podiatrist a few times now and was planning to ask him for an LOR. However, he recently met a new podiatrist trying to get into his practice from a foot and ankle clinic. This new podiatrist (early 30s) finished residency last year and wants me to shadow with him. He does various trauma/elective surgeries, and is the mentor for new residents at a few hospitals.

Both are fine writing an LOR for me, so my question is; should I get one from the young stud or the older DPM who is better known but has been out of the school aspect for a long time now? I feel there are pros and cons to both so I'm just looking for opinions. Unless I should get one from both but I didn't deem two necessary unless others have done that before to their advantage.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would get a letter from whichever one knows you personally better and is more willing to not only write the letter but do it well and list positive things about you. Old vs young doesn't matter.

Frankly if I was in your situation I would ask both for letters, not because you need two but because there's always the possibility that something could come up for one of them leading them to not write it. This happened to me, one DPM I asked for a letter got terribly busy with both personal and professional life and wasn't able to write my letter. There's nothing wrong with having a backup.

Reactions: 1 users
^^^^^ seconded! Get it from both and I think you have a very nice opportunity to be able to shadow both. I bet things have changed so much from when the older pod was in school, working compared to the younger!

Happy for you that you're in the middle of such a "sandwich"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!
It was a fortunate coincidence that the kid happened to show up (trying to take over his practice, I'm assuming) and he was really cool about it. He happens to do total foot amputations, salvages, ankle replacement, etc. Didn't think I would be able to see that ahead of time. He also mentors for new residents across a few of the schools so that should be interesting.

Thanks guys!
It was a fortunate coincidence that the kid happened to show up (trying to take over his practice, I'm assuming) and he was really cool about it. He happens to do total foot amputations, salvages, ankle replacement, etc. Didn't think I would be able to see that ahead of time. He also mentors for new residents across a few of the schools so that should be interesting.

Do you know if it was a cold call approach to landing the job, or the senior podiatrist put out a notice that he's looking for a partner to handle surgical cases?

Do you know if it was a cold call approach to landing the job, or the senior podiatrist put out a notice that he's looking for a partner to handle surgical cases?
The kid is basically in an orthopod business right now and is sick of fighting with them. He wants to switch to more private practice of his own to make his own choices and can still do elective surgeries through surrounding hospitals. The senior is my podiatrist but he's like 64, I believe he's looking for someone to take over and wants to start teaching one soon.