LOR Guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MudPhudHopeful

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently requesting LOR's from my PI and collaborator, and they asked for some guidelines for what to include. I told them that the letter should address my experiences in the lab, any accomplishments, and in general comment on my potential/aptitude for laboratory science and becoming an independent investigator. I am also sending them my CV along with a modified PS describing my motivations for pursuing the MD/PhD route and my current career goals/aspirations. Is there anything else that I should give them that would be helpful?
 
I think you are good.

I actually had different writers address different issues....sorta "themed letters". For example, I asked my current PI to address my research skills and determination. I asked my biology professor to address my scientific aptitude. I asked my English professor to address my leadership skills. etc..
 
some schools will request specific information (that should be covered in gen, ie: particular project working on, potential as a researcher, etc) so you might want to check out some school admissions websites
 
Thanks for the help, CancerKiller and Sunshine!

some schools will request specific information (that should be covered in gen, ie: particular project working on, potential as a researcher, etc) so you might want to check out some school admissions websites

I did what you suggested, but I wasn't able to find anything more specific than what I had already told them. I didn't see one that particularly asked to describe the particular project that I was working on. Should I ask them to include that? Or would it be a little redundant, since I have described it already in my research essay?