LOR Guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhudHopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently requesting LOR's from my PI and collaborator, and they asked for some guidelines for what to include. I told them that the letter should address my experiences in the lab, any accomplishments, and in general comment on my potential/aptitude for laboratory science and becoming an independent investigator. I am also sending them my CV along with a modified PS describing my motivations for pursuing the MD/PhD route and my current career goals/aspirations. Is there anything else that I should give them that would be helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are good.

I actually had different writers address different issues....sorta "themed letters". For example, I asked my current PI to address my research skills and determination. I asked my biology professor to address my scientific aptitude. I asked my English professor to address my leadership skills. etc..

some schools will request specific information (that should be covered in gen, ie: particular project working on, potential as a researcher, etc) so you might want to check out some school admissions websites

Thanks for the help, CancerKiller and Sunshine!

some schools will request specific information (that should be covered in gen, ie: particular project working on, potential as a researcher, etc) so you might want to check out some school admissions websites

I did what you suggested, but I wasn't able to find anything more specific than what I had already told them. I didn't see one that particularly asked to describe the particular project that I was working on. Should I ask them to include that? Or would it be a little redundant, since I have described it already in my research essay?