• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Politics of changing clinical guidelines?

pretysmitty

5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2015
This might not be the ideal forum for this post, but I'm sure someone on here can refer me to some good literature.

I was wondering if there are any books/memoirs/blog posts by physicians or scientists that discuss the politics of changing clinical guidelines after a large body of evidence has been accumulated. While these efforts are evidence-based, I'm not sure if the bureaucracies that enact change are dependent on scientific consensus alone.

For example, I shadowed a doctor who told me about the current controversy in Sleep Medicine, where CMS appears to have more power than physicians/scientists in setting clinical guidelines. What's fascinating is that the use of AHI to diagnose OSA and even the severity classification (mild/moderate/severe) for OSA were pushed by CMS - not physicians. This is interesting because resistance to change is driven by a cost-cutting incentive, not an old guard of researchers.

Are there any other stories on the bureaucracy of evidence based medicine? It's not breaking news that basic/translational science is slowed by the older generation, but changing clinical guidelines involves stakeholders who aren’t physicians or scientists. Evidence-based medicine is quite young, but I hope there are some stories out there of older physicians who had to wade through politics to push scientific consensus into the clinic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.