Quantcast

LOR limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentman218

Reaction score
I have heard there is a limit of the number of LOR's that a person can submit in there application? is this true and if so how does everyone deal with different schools needing letters from different people. Thanks!

stevsie

Reaction score
I could be wrong so you might want to double check. But I believe they want 3.
-1 dentist or non academic (work boss etc)
-2 from academic hard sciences. (chem bio phys math etc)

To be sure you can check dental schools web pages and they will let you know. If you go to the application requirement sections of the schools web page.

DentalDiva RDH

Reaction score
I have heard there is a limit of the number of LOR's that a person can submit in there application? is this true and if so how does everyone deal with different schools needing letters from different people. Thanks!

The maximum number of letters you can submit is 4. If you do some digging on the forum, you'll find people usually submit:

2-sciences from the pre-reqs, 1 from a dentist, and 1 non-science. I would say this is the norm. and is usually what is required, at the least.

Contact the schools you're interested in, that for instance, would like 3 science letters, like columbia, and ask them if you can have the extra science letter they need faxed or mailed to them, by the writer. Some schools require that 1 of the 2 science letters be in biology, like Tufts! So you really have to do some research based on the schools you are planning on applying to and plan accordingly, all that information is usually right on the individual schools website.

Good Luck!:)

MOUTHLOVER

Reaction score
The maximum number of letters you can submit is 4. If you do some digging on the forum, you'll find people usually submit:

2-sciences from the pre-reqs, 1 from a dentist, and 1 non-science. I would say this is the norm. and is usually what is required, at the least.

Contact the schools you're interested in, that for instance, would like 3 science letters, like columbia, and ask them if you can have the extra science letter they need faxed or mailed to them, by the writer. Some schools require that 1 of the 2 science letters be in biology, like Tufts! So you really have to do some research based on the schools you are planning on applying to and plan accordingly, all that information is usually right on the individual schools website.

Good Luck!:)

I have three Biochemistry professors, do you think it would be bad for me to get letters from each of them and then one from a dentist?

Thanks!

GoBlue24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
COLUMBIA wants THREE letters from science professors? Crap. Are there any other notable schools (popular dental schools that most people apply too) that require three science letter of recommendations OR two science and one non-science letter of recommendations?

The reason I ask is because I am apply to dental school during this cycle and I plan on submitting a letter of recommendation from a physiology professor, a genetics professor, an endodontist, and a general dentist (2 science, 2 non-academic). Both my endodontist and my general dentist said they would write amazing LOR's so I plan to submit both. Bad idea?

DentalDiva RDH

Reaction score
I have three Biochemistry professors, do you think it would be bad for me to get letters from each of them and then one from a dentist?

Thanks!

You know, I am actually not sure, I'm applying this coming cycle! For me that sounds a little odd. I took my Biology II class with 5 different professors, so I know where you're coming from, but if you can get it from different sciences that would be ideal. I mean lets say you have an A and these three professors talk about you and how wonderful you are, etc. it's still the same grade from the same class most likely talking about the exact same work ethic they thought you were so wonderful at, just in 3 separate letters, a little redundant..no?

Why not ask the one you know will write you the best one and go fishing for other letters elsewhere. If this is not feasible for you, call the schools you're interested in and ask, because that's a sure fire way to be sure, but I am going for a strong no for the three letters from the same class.

You're welcome!

DentalDiva RDH

Reaction score
COLUMBIA wants THREE letters from science professors? Crap. Are there any other notable schools (popular dental schools that most people apply too) that require three science letter of recommendations OR two science and one non-science letter of recommendations?

The reason I ask is because I am apply to dental school during this cycle and I plan on submitting a letter of recommendation from a physiology professor, a genetics professor, an endodontist, and a general dentist (2 science, 2 non-academic). Both my endodontist and my general dentist said they would write amazing LOR's so I plan to submit both. Bad idea?

Yeah, I know..they aren't messin around. Honestly, Columbia is the only school on my list that requires three sciences, like I said earlier in the post above, that is probably the most generic standard of the kinds of letters you need for most dental schools. If you don't have a list going now, good time to start :thumbup:

Also, some schools specifically ask for 1 non-science, which is why it's safe to submit 1 non-science, in general. So we have definite definites on the 2 science letters and 1 dentist, those are musts, for most, and then some schools ask for 1 non-science, boom there's your fourth letter, not much wiggle room. So the whole 1 dentist, 1 endodontist thing, great to have, you'll prob. only get to chose one though (most likely the general dentist), but again like I said some schools welcome extra letters, just call and ask and maybe later on you can supplement your application, by sending it to the schools that don't mind.

xtra333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
nova southeastern univ SDM want three letters: one from a humanities professor. other two from science professors. I believe Buffalo (or SUNY stony brook) also recommends three LOR from science professors. The best way to coordinate LOR with the different schools' requirements is by using interfolio to mail the LOR.

xtra333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
And of course, just in case you want to apply to Univ of new england, they want a letter from one of your volunteer coordinators that certifies you did volunteer a certain number of hours at the place of volunteer where you mentioned in your application.

Dentman218

Reaction score
So if a school says it must be from a Liberal Ed professor, in terms of for a dentistry school would an accounting professor work? Thoughts

aquafoam

Jedi Master
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied using a committee letter. In the committee letter it had 7 individual letters.

BU2012

Reaction score
I had an advisor collect my letters and submit them as a packet. I had 5 letters: 4 academic and 1 dentist. I received first round interviews to every school and acceptances to my schools of choice. Some would say 5 is too many. I highly disagree.