LOR packet question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiritkoi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school says that a committee letter satisfies the LOR requirements, does it need to include the requirements of individual letters? For example, most schools require 2 science faculty and 1 non science, but if I submit a committee letter instead but it has 1 science faculty, 1 non science and 2 from PI's, would this suffice or do i need the 2 science faculty letters? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that a committee letter typically trumps any individual letter requirements.

Reactions: 2 users
Whatever your school requires for you to receive a committee letter is fine. Your school will write the letter based on the letters you submit. Then they send the whole to the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that a committee letter typically trumps any individual letter requirements.
This^^^^. It's one or the other. If a committee letter had to exactly replicate the individual letter requirements, there would be no reason to go to the trouble to obtain it. Schools actually prefer the committee letter, because it puts you in context with all other applicants from your school. That is more valuable to schools than any individual letter. If you have a great letter that you would like to submit in addition, most schools will accept that as well.