LOR problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssj4vinh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning on applying to a few med schools, SMPs, and DO's within the next 6-11 months, but I will be having trouble meeting a few of the LOR requirements. I have been out of school/working for the past year and will be able to get a LOR from only one professor who has taught me. I only recently changed my route to medicine from physical therapy, so I did not bother getting letters during my undergrad. This is a problem as I know most schools want at least two from a science professor. My other letters will be coming from physicians and employers.

What is the recommended course of action for someone like me? How strict are the LOR requirements?

Should I take a science course at a CC and get a LOR?
Should I take a University course over the summer and get a super-late LOR?

Advice MUCH appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm planning on applying to a few med schools, SMPs, and DO's within the next 6-11 months, but I will be having trouble meeting a few of the LOR requirements. I have been out of school/working for the past year and will be able to get a LOR from only one professor who has taught me. I only recently changed my route to medicine from physical therapy, so I did not bother getting letters during my undergrad. This is a problem as I know most schools want at least two from a science professor. My other letters will be coming from physicians and employers.

What is the recommended course of action for someone like me? How strict are the LOR requirements?

Should I take a science course at a CC and get a LOR?
Should I take a University course over the summer and get a super-late LOR?

Advice MUCH appreciated!

What I would try in order:
1) Show up in person to your undergrad when professors will be there and talk to someone who will remember you and explain your situation. As long as you didn't burn every bridge, strike up a conversation and ask it. Email won't put a face to you probably, since you have this problem.
Yes it could be awkward, but either you play the game or you get played. Man/Woman up and just do it.
2) I'd try a university course over the summer with a professor I had taken a class from previously. You already sort of know them, so you're 10 steps ahead of a CC course. Ask for the letter halfway through the class, again striking up a conversation about a problem and then explaining your situation and asking for a letter.
A CC science course wouldn't be the worst thing, easy A, but make sure the professor likes you? Least favorable in my opinion.