LOR: Quality vs Quantity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capybaracarbonara

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask this here because I've heard conflicting advice and am also not sure where to find compiled information on what letters schools want. Would this amount of LORs be sufficient:

2 strong science professors
1 strong non-science professor
1 from my PI

Hesitant on getting another from a doctor I am going to start working for before the cycle begins, and for the advisor of an organization I'm in that doesn't really communicate with the students. I'm just concerned because I've heard that you should get a LOR from each of your most meaningful activities, but I would only be getting one from research. For my other two activities, one of them has a weird organizational structure where it's mainly student run, and our adult advisor never really meets with us, and the other organization works similarly. There's also been complications with the advisor switching due to the previous one having to leave. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely quality > quantity

Reactions: 2 users
I have never heard/seen an expectation of a letter from each "most meaningful" activity. I do know that some individuals on the adcom like to see a LOR from each lab you've been in but I think many of them are the PhD members of the MD adcom and in the minority in that regard.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have never heard/seen an expectation of a letter from each "most meaningful" activity. I do know that some individuals on the adcom like to see a LOR from each lab you've been in but I think many of them are the PhD members of the MD adcom and in the minority in that regard.
Okay thank you so much. I think I read that on here a while ago, but I could be mistaken

Just wanted to ask this here because I've heard conflicting advice and am also not sure where to find compiled information on what letters schools want. Would this amount of LORs be sufficient:

2 strong science professors
1 strong non-science professor
1 from my PI

Hesitant on getting another from a doctor I am going to start working for before the cycle begins, and for the advisor of an organization I'm in that doesn't really communicate with the students. I'm just concerned because I've heard that you should get a LOR from each of your most meaningful activities, but I would only be getting one from research. For my other two activities, one of them has a weird organizational structure where it's mainly student run, and our adult advisor never really meets with us, and the other organization works similarly. There's also been complications with the advisor switching due to the previous one having to leave. Any advice?
Have mercy on us who have to read these things!

Quality over quantity any day of the week. More is not better.

Reactions: 1 user