LOR question (as in...It finally came in!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espion

is a girl
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have an LOR that came in from the away rotation I completed a couple months ago.

Now, since my application has been in since Sept, I have already assigned four letters to all of my programs. Could I call up the program coordinators and ask if they would preferentially download that letter as my fourth?

I'm thinking it would be feasible for the fact that it seems that no one takes the time to read your folders before they interview you. So I figure, why not tear up one, substitute this one, and no one would be the wiser? All of my LORs are good, but I would much prefer to send out this one.

C'est possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I've got the same question. Although my dean's office mentioned that once programs download a 4th letter that they don't accept any more, I don't know whether this is true for all programs... I guess calling up programs individually wouldn't be such a bad idea?

Espion said:
Okay, I have an LOR that came in from the away rotation I completed a couple months ago.

Now, since my application has been in since Sept, I have already assigned four letters to all of my programs. Could I call up the program coordinators and ask if they would preferentially download that letter as my fourth?

I'm thinking it would be feasible for the fact that it seems that no one takes the time to read your folders before they interview you. So I figure, why not tear up one, substitute this one, and no one would be the wiser? All of my LORs are good, but I would much prefer to send out this one.

C'est possible?

JKP said:
I've got the same question. Although my dean's office mentioned that once programs download a 4th letter that they don't accept any more, I don't know whether this is true for all programs... I guess calling up programs individually wouldn't be such a bad idea?

I think my plan is to call a couple of them (as in two or three, no more) and tell the rest that it is available if they would like to see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would carry copies of it on the interview trail, assuming you have it in your possession versus the Dean's.

UDgerl said:
I would carry copies of it on the interview trail, assuming you have it in your possession versus the Dean's.
agree with this. good advice from my recent chief.

Here's the plot twist...

They obliged in sending me the letter, but it has a conspicuous "the student has waived the right to see this letter" at the top (which I had...they were nice and sent it to me anyhow). Its such a lovely letter too (from an exceptional surgeon who has no more free time than I have a million dollars). For all that effort, I'd hate to store it in the closet.

Hi, I had a similar situation - a late LOR from a VIP.
I emailed the program coordinator of each program. even if they already sent an interview invitation, and asked them to upload the letter and add it to my file. So, when they re-review the files for late interview offers it will be there; At my alreaady scheduled interviews the letter will be in the file in time for their interview and ranking session. Many LOR are read at ranking time.

ps. Im not carrying copies of that letter with me to hand out. Especially since supposedly I have not seen it. Ill keep the basic CV, personal statement with me, and if necessary Ill mention that theres a new LOR in my file.

Espion said:
Here's the plot twist...

They obliged in sending me the letter, but it has a conspicuous "the student has waived the right to see this letter" at the top (which I had...they were nice and sent it to me anyhow). Its such a lovely letter too (from an exceptional surgeon who has no more free time than I have a million dollars). For all that effort, I'd hate to store it in the closet.

I don't see how that matters. The best letters are the ones that you "waive the right to see", and the writer elects to show you anyway...why should an interviewer care that you have a copy? It sounds like you WANT this letter in your file.

Am i missing something? Why is the waiver "conspicuous"?

so can we still submit letters to ERAS? i'm so confused and in the same dilemma - recent late offer for letter. have 4 already. ah well, whatever....

and what's the deal on the offer to make phone calls. i appreciate it, but doesn't it imply disinterest in the given program (i.e. attending at away elective A offers to make calls on my behalf, but what does that imply about my dedication to program A?). any insight?

thanks.