LOR question/ professor on medical leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cotton Candy Lover

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just found out that one of my recommenders is no longer teaching.

I have his letter from 2021 in interfolio when he recommended me to postbacc programs. I have updated him from time to time. Even though he didn't reply back, I assumed that he had read the updates. He had agreed to update the letter when it was time for me to apply to medical schools, but I've asked around and one of my GSI's said the professor is on medical leave. I'm still considering his letter because: 1) I've been taking many classes with him, 2) I became a TA for one of his classes and thought that this letter could speak more than another generic letter, 3) I currently have no other science professor who's willing to write me a letter.

Overall, is this advisable? Is there a part of the application where I can tell medical schools that I'm aware of this issue? TYSM!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you have this extensive experience as a TA and a student in multiple classes back when the letter was first written?

If the letter is for postbacc programs, that could be an issue. And traditionally, schools usually wanted 2 science LORs (at least for MD).

Reactions: 1 users
Did you have this extensive experience as a TA and a student in multiple classes back when the letter was first written?

If the letter is for postbacc programs, that could be an issue. And traditionally, schools usually wanted 2 science LORs (at least for MD).
Yep! I asked him to write a letter after I graduated and based on our interactions, I thought that the letter was strong and meaningful.
Sorry, what I've said earlier was a bit confusing (I "had" been taking classes with him). As for the other letters, they all are updated for this application cycle : " )

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! I asked him to write a letter after I graduated and based on our interactions, I thought that the letter was strong and meaningful.
Sorry, what I've said earlier was a bit confusing (I "had" been taking classes with him). As for the other letters, they all are updated for this application cycle : " )
So is his letter still for post bacc programs or for med school?

Reactions: 1 user
Still for the postbacc program : (
There's no way to let schools know why you are using a letter that isn't directed for med school. If you did a career changer post bacc, then there is a chance that it would be fine. If you needed to do a post bacc to improve your grades, I would not draw attention to that again by using the letter. Letters from your post bacc faculty would be a better fit.

There's no way to let schools know why you are using a letter that isn't directed for med school. If you did a career changer post bacc, then there is a chance that it would be fine. If you needed to do a post bacc to improve your grades, I would not draw attention to that again by using the letter. Letters from your post bacc faculty would be a better fit.

I tried to ask my postbacc professors too but all have said that they’re only willing to write a letter if I’ve taken at least two classes with them : (. Tysm for replying!

Darn. I wouldn't bother anyone on medical leave. You just don't know what is going on, and sometimes they really need the time off. It's horrible your other professors won't step in, but it happens.

Your postbac program director should have suggestions. That person should write your letter, in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Darn. I wouldn't bother anyone on medical leave. You just don't know what is going on, and sometimes they really need the time off. It's horrible your other professors won't step in, but it happens.

Your postbac program director should have suggestions. That person should write your letter, in my opinion.

I agree—i definitely felt terrible after knowing he was on medical leave. I had sent a couple emails asking him to update before knowing.

Thank you! Hopefully something will work out . . .

@chilly_md @Mr.Smile12 Hi sorry to trouble you all again, but can I ask a follow-up question? My graduate student instructor who was teaching the lab portion of my initial letter writer's class (medical leave) said he could help with a letter. Is it okay to use my GSI`s letter instead? I essentially received a grade from each of them. Since it's a lab class, do I need both signatures from my GSI and the professor who is on medical leave too? tysm!

@chilly_md @Mr.Smile12 Hi sorry to trouble you all again, but can I ask a follow-up question? My graduate student instructor who was teaching the lab portion of my initial letter writer's class (medical leave) said he could help with a letter. Is it okay to use my GSI`s letter instead? I essentially received a grade from each of them. Since it's a lab class, do I need both signatures from my GSI and the professor who is on medical leave too? tysm!
You would need a professor's signature. Letters from graduate assistants and student instructors on their own do not count. If another faculty member from the department is willing to co-sign (such as whoever is stepping in for the professor on medical leave), that would suffice.

Reactions: 1 users
You would need a professor's signature. Letters from graduate assistants and student instructors on their own do not count. If another faculty member from the department is willing to co-sign (such as whoever is stepping in for the professor on medical leave), that would suffice.
tysm! I'll forward your advice to the GSI!

Edit: Sorry another question! I have my other LOR writer and he is also in the same department. Can I ask my other LOR professor to co-sign my GSI's letter? Or does it have to be a different professor? TY again!

Last edited:
tysm! I'll forward your advice to the GSI!

Edit: Sorry another question! I have my other LOR writer and he is also in the same department. Can I ask my other LOR professor to co-sign my GSI's letter? Or does it have to be a different professor? TY again!
Maybe try to see if you can get somebody else first, but that would work in the event you do not.