Jul 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I am in a bit of a tricky situation and would like some advice. I already have 3 evaluators who I recently found out will write me excellent evaluations. However, I asked 2 additional evaluators just in case as back-up. Unfortunately, these 2 additional evaluators... I am not sure what kind of evaluation they will write for me. I know that having even one average or poor evaluation can hurt my entire application, so I am really worried but I already invited them on VMCAS so I'm not sure how to proceed.
They have not written anything yet or even made a VMCAS account yet, but asking them now not to write an evaluation.... I am afraid it will seem unprofessional and ruin my relationship with them.
By the way, the schools I'm applying to don't require more than 3, but said that they have to read all the evaluations if I send more than 3.
What should I do?

battie

U of I c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Unfortunately, these 2 additional evaluators... I am not sure what kind of evaluation they will write for me

Don't take the letters. Don't water down your app.

As far as how to work with these evaluators, you can be straight with them that their letters are no longer necessary as all the letters have come through and you're ready to submit the app.

Reactions: 6 users
Jul 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Don't take the letters. Don't water down your app.

As far as how to work with these evaluators, you can be straight with them that their letters are no longer necessary as all the letters have come through and you're ready to submit the app.

Thank you for the advice, will do.

About the Ads

that redhead

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
Agreed with the above. The awkwardness of unasking them is much better than having a weak letter. Just make sure to be on top of your other writers so they submit in time.

Reactions: 1 users

PippyPony

not a wolf
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2013
dead chat
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
And just make sure to inform those additional writers in a timely manner that you no longer need their submissions. If it were me, I'd be perfectly fine with someone cancelling their request before I had started to write, but would be annoyed if I ended up fully writing a thoughtful recommendation for someone and they turned around and said they didn't need it. Those things take time when they're done well.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
And just make sure to inform those additional writers in a timely manner that you no longer need their submissions. If it were me, I'd be perfectly fine with someone cancelling their request before I had started to write, but would be annoyed if I ended up fully writing a thoughtful recommendation for someone and they turned around and said they didn't need it. Those things take time when they're done well.
Thank you so much for the input, redhead and PippyPony.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.