LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am sure this has been asked, but I was gonna get LOR from a humanities prof I had for a letter from a non-science course. Should I ask him now to write or tell him now if he will write it in april of next year. I am applying for the 2008 cycle, taking the mcat this august. I just dont want him to forget who i was and think maybe the letter would be better now rather then later. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check with your health professions advisor or committee to see what their schedule is. Usually they want to receive a letter in the spring before you fill out your AMCAS as they would not start your file until the winter/spring.

That said, it may not hurt to secure this person's commitment to be your reference. But I would not get the reference yet until you get the forms to ensure that your reference would be confidential.

yeah I got what your saying. What about research supervisors? I had one last summer that I would like to get a letter from. Should I ask them for the letter now, do they have to be kept confidential? Sorry I havent really got into the app. process so I am dont know a whole bunch of the specifics about the process, I am still battling the MCAT. I just wanted to make sure I have the recs locked.

It depends on how well this guy knows you. If you have serious concerns he will forget who you are, I might explain your situation, ask if he could write the letter now, and then keep it on record until next year when you can have him send it out.