LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bailey728

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question about LORs. I read on a general non-vet website that it is advisable to ask for a LOR while you are still in contact with the person (e.g asking a professor right after you finish a course) rather than wait until the time you apply to a program. Is this advisable and/or possible with regard to applying to vet school? I don't know much about how the LOR section of VMCAS works. Do they want the LORs to be electronic? Do they want them to all have been written within a certain time frame (e.g. the past 6 months)?

Any info/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a good idea to ask them while you know them and certainly you want to give anyone you ask six months notice. The eLOR's have a written part, and then several questions. The person you are requesting a letter from can at least write general impressions of you and then revise it when they have the official form. Some university registrar offices will offer to hold these letters on file for you if the professor doesn't want to, and I'm sure you could ask an administrator at the hospital or wherever to do the same.

:)
Miranda

I think it's a good idea to ask them while you know them and certainly you want to give anyone you ask six months notice.

I agree with the asking while you know them part, but six months?!?!? sheesh. Maybe six weeks... They will never remember in six months, and anyway, VMCAS is only open 3-4 months. I usually asked as soon as I knew I was applying for something, and then said I will be in touch when the time is closer (usually they asked when I was putting in the application). Then I would check back in with them 6-8 weeks prior to my deadline (depending on time of year--If it fell over holiday time or finals weeks I gave extra time). Some people were great about getting it done and others I had to nag. Within a week of me confirming that the letter was sent I dropped them a brief thank-you note.

I hate asking for recommendations, so this is really hard for me. But I know the further I get in my career the more I will need them (or the word of mouth).