1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

LOR Question?

Discussion in 'Combined Residencies' started by SuperHero, Dec 8, 2008.

1. SuperHero

SuperHero Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm applying for MedPeds next year and I'm in the process of trying to get some of my letters together. In looking at the LOR requirements for all of the programs I see that many of the programs require a letter from the Department "Chairs". I have not had much contact with the Departments chairs of either the Medicine or Peds nor have I been in a clinical environment with them either. How should I approach them to write me a letter if I don't know them very well?

Any feedback welcomed!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nevercold

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Med schools are very used to this. Usually you will arrange a meeting with the department chair for your areas of interest (Pediatrics and Medicine, here) around the beginning of fourth year and they will talk to you about your interest and review your performance data from the appropriate rotation, especially sub-internship rotations. Then they draft a letter reflecting your conversations with them and the positives of how you did in the specialty-specific rotations. It is essentially a department-specific dean's letter that offers a department-specific endorsement of your candidacy for residency.

4. SuperHero

SuperHero Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks alot...that makes sense. I will make sure I do that.