LOR Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperHero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for MedPeds next year and I'm in the process of trying to get some of my letters together. In looking at the LOR requirements for all of the programs I see that many of the programs require a letter from the Department "Chairs". I have not had much contact with the Departments chairs of either the Medicine or Peds nor have I been in a clinical environment with them either. How should I approach them to write me a letter if I don't know them very well?

Any feedback welcomed!!

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools are very used to this. Usually you will arrange a meeting with the department chair for your areas of interest (Pediatrics and Medicine, here) around the beginning of fourth year and they will talk to you about your interest and review your performance data from the appropriate rotation, especially sub-internship rotations. Then they draft a letter reflecting your conversations with them and the positives of how you did in the specialty-specific rotations. It is essentially a department-specific dean's letter that offers a department-specific endorsement of your candidacy for residency.

Thanks alot...that makes sense. I will make sure I do that.