LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

primusrocks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently signed up for Interfolio and im starting to compile my LOR. My mom works as a Dentist and for years I have went into the office and watched her work and her boss. I was thinking about sending her boss a form to fill out for a LOR. Do you think this would be a good/bad idea? He knows who I am, my ethics, basically he knows a lot about me. On the other hand we have spent a lot of time out together out of the professional environment. Parents christmas parties, birthdays, etc. So would this be a bad idea? Or when i send it to him should i just say, leave those parts out?

Members don't see this ad.

there's nothing wrong with having a LOR writer who knows who you are as a person. That should actually be a big plus for the strength of your letter. I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

My mom is a psychologist and one of her best friends from work is a psychiatrist. He's known me since I was 12, and sounds very similar to your situation (he knows my ethics, reasons for going to med school, has seen me outside of the professional environment). He was one of my letter writers, and I've had no problem with it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, perfect. I just always had heard people talking about not getting them from family friends. But u both are right, he knows me much better as a person than my other LOR writers do, since he has known me since i was a baby. Maybe since he is on the Board of Dentistry he can pull some strings for me too :rolleyes: (yeah right)

I think a family friend that is a physician of some sort is great. I had an LOR from a family friend and the admissions committee loved it.