LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello guys, I have another question. This forum is very helpful in getting general application questions answered. :D

I'm planning on having 4 LoR sent to PharmCas

1) Upper Division science prof
2.)Micro prof
3.)Pharmacist
4.) TA (upper level science) or Science PhD who taught me during an upper division science writing class

I've confirmed to have options 1 and 3. Option 2 hasn't returned my email yet. I'm having a problem deciding option 4. My TA said he was willing to write me one and I haven't asked the writing prof yet but I think she would write me one. Who should I pick for option 4?

While I have my own thread, I guess I should confirm a few things I've read on the forum
- E submit as early as possible (When all transcripts are in)
- E submit even though you don't have your PCAT scores in and all LoR in

Thank you

I would definitely e-submit even if you don't have your PCAT scores. PharmCAS will update your app once they receive it. I am waiting until all the LORs and transcripts are received first. Don't ask me why.

When you said writing prof, did you mean an English professor? If so, I would advice you to stick to Math or Science professors/TAs only. Just my $0.02

Members don't see this ad.

No, it was a class for upper division science writing taught by science PhDs

Thanks for your response

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely e-submit even if you don't have your PCAT scores. PharmCAS will update your app once they receive it. I am waiting until all the LORs and transcripts are received first. Don't ask me why.

When you said writing prof, did you mean an English professor? If so, I would advice you to stick to Math or Science professors/TAs only. Just my $0.02

Actually some schools prefer one non science prof. You might be able to have the TA actually write it but the prof they were TA'ing for sign off on it.

I'd be careful with asking a TA to write you a LOR. Some schools won't accept LORs from TAs, so double-check with your schools of interest first.

You can always talk to the professor that knows you slightly (like the psychology one), and explain to him/her the position you are in and if they would feel comfortable writing you a LOR. You can also offer to sit down with them and tell them more about you to give them a better idea of who you are as a person and why they should be writing your LOR.

Thanks.

I'm just worried that an LOR from a CC prof might not be looked upon favorably by adcoms.

Thanks.

I'm just worried that an LOR from a CC prof might not be looked upon favorably by adcoms.

Depends on the school, mine was from a CC professor since that is where I took my pre-reqs and I was fine, others might see it differently.

If you are getting a professor that doesn't know you well to write a letter for you, I would recommend giving them as much info about yourself as you can, as suggested by tsicamrahp and luv2jump above. I ran into a last minute emergency and had to ask my genetics professor from 5 or 6 years ago to write me a letter. I didn't think he remembered me, so I gave him my full transcript, CV, and statement of purpose just to make sure he had something else to go on other than his memory of me (or lack thereof). I actually started giving those documents to anyone I asked to do a LOR for me just so they can write a well rounded letter even if I still have a regular relationship with them. Whoever you decide to ask, always make sure it's someone that will write you a good letter. If you're not sure, it's not a bad idea to flat out ask them, "Would you give me a GOOD recommendation?" Most profs will be straight up with you and save themselves and you the time if they won't give you a good recommendation as long as you ask them first.

Hi guys!

I just started volunteering in a pharmacy at a hospital today, and I hope eventually I can ask for a LOR from the pharmacist here (I still have a lot of time since I'm not applying until my 4th yr and I'm currently a 2nd yr). But there's a few things bugging me:

1. Everyone in the hospital is so nice except for the pharmacy ppl. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get to know them, be more friendlier with them if they all ignore me and the other volunteers. Not just ignore but even give us the "we don't need you all you do is bother us" kind of face when we come in. I've tried several times to introduce myself, ask how was their day kind of thing, but have gotten either none or a "forced" response from them.
Keep in mind they were not busy when I was talking to them. During my shift, they usually just joke w/each other or eat dinner or listen to music in their own little lunch room. It's a "small" hospital so i guess there's not too much work, especially at my shift time.
And the volunteers work in the back, them in the front (we kno our duties) and never ask them a thing so idk how we are bothering them. we work quietly too lol.

2. I have no clue who the pharmacist is, so that I can at least try talking to him/her. Everyone except for this one lady wears scrubs. Now I know the scrub wearers are pharm techs, but idk about the lady. She wears regular clothes, but no white coat?
Though I hope she's not the pharmacist, b/c she is the most rude of them all lol.

So any advice on dealing with this? I'm pretty stuck as on how I'm supposed to get "closer" to them so I can eventually ask for a LOR.

I can def. empathize with you! The inpatient pharmacy I volunteered in were had staff like that. They referred to me as "HER" even though I had a badge with my name right there and of course I introduced myself to them. Only one of the pharm techs was nice about letting me help him..the others would smile next to the pharm director..and once he would leave tell me that they didn't need me to help them. But it's true, if you really want to get into pharm school...you'll bite the bullet and try your best to deal with it.

One of my LORs was from a CC professor that I only had during the summer, and I got accepted everywhere....you have to remember it's the entire picture that they're looking at. So if your grades aren't fantastic or your PCAT score isn't so hot, then maybe that could be frowned upon in the larger scheme of things...

Who to choose?

I need to start getting my application together but can't quite figure out what to do with the recommendation part.

My school of choice only requires 3 letters. Does anyone know if I have a 4th letter, will the school look at this as well?

Currently, the two people on my list that is definite includes: my manager at work (pharmaceutical but not pharmacy) and a pharmacist I have worked with.

If I only submit 3 letters, the last one is kind of hard for me to decide who I should ask. My organic chem professor from undergrad who knows me well but it's been over 2 years since I graduated, however, I'm sure he still remembers me and has recommended me before in the past. Only problem is I've asked him before (twice to be exact) and I feel like he's always writing but I'm never getting in so I'm a little ashamed to ask him again. Or the other option is a professor from my Masters program who also teaches and is associated with the pharmacy school that I'm applying to. Are my chances increased if I use one of their own professors to recommend me? However, I know this professor is quite busy and I'm not sure how if she will have the time to help me out.

Should I submit 4 if they only require 3? Just wanted to get opinions before I ask my recommenders.

Who to choose?

I need to start getting my application together but can't quite figure out what to do with the recommendation part.

My school of choice only requires 3 letters. Does anyone know if I have a 4th letter, will the school look at this as well?

Currently, the two people on my list that is definite includes: my manager at work (pharmaceutical but not pharmacy) and a pharmacist I have worked with.

If I only submit 3 letters, the last one is kind of hard for me to decide who I should ask. My organic chem professor from undergrad who knows me well but it's been over 2 years since I graduated, however, I'm sure he still remembers me and has recommended me before in the past. Only problem is I've asked him before (twice to be exact) and I feel like he's always writing but I'm never getting in so I'm a little ashamed to ask him again. Or the other option is a professor from my Masters program who also teaches and is associated with the pharmacy school that I'm applying to. Are my chances increased if I use one of their own professors to recommend me? However, I know this professor is quite busy and I'm not sure how if she will have the time to help me out.

Should I submit 4 if they only require 3? Just wanted to get opinions before I ask my recommenders.

These are questions that should be directed towards the schools of interest. Every school will assess your LOR differently. For example, one of the schools that I applied allowed you to submit more than the required amount of LORs with the best being chosen for review. Others only allowed 3 to be submitted with any more counting against you for not following instructions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked the Pharmacy Dir of the clinic where I've been volunteering for a LOR. She said she'd be happy to write one for me. She wants me to email her info about me. She said she's written LOR for pharmcas before, and they ask lots of questions that have nothing to do w/ working in the pharmacy. Does anyone have an idea what questions they ask?

I asked the Pharmacy Dir of the clinic where I've been volunteering for a LOR. She said she'd be happy to write one for me. She wants me to email her info about me. She said she's written LOR for pharmcas before, and they ask lots of questions that have nothing to do w/ working in the pharmacy. Does anyone have an idea what questions they ask?

http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/evalquestions.htm

I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with it... it's just more general.

Do you know if it is decent enough to have 2 letter of recs from 2 biochem professors, or it is better to have a letter of rec from professor that teach other courses as well?

Thank You.

SL

Do you know if it is decent enough to have 2 letter of recs from 2 biochem professors, or it is better to have a letter of rec from professor that teach other courses as well?

Thank You.

SL

Unless they know different things about you, those two recommendations might have similar statements in them. I would look for a different professor or an advisor of a club in which you are involved.

Hello all,

Can I have a LOR from a pharmacist that I didn't volunteer for? The Pharmacist that I volunteered for last year gave me the hardest time possible just to right a letter. He is by far the most unorganized procrastinator that I have ever met in my life. So I don't really want to go back to him and deal with his smart remarks. (basically a wrong decision to volunteer there to begin with).
On the other hand my friend of over 10 years is also a Pharmacist and she has offered me to write a strong letter of rec, since she knows me so well. Do you think it may be possible to obtain a LOR from her? thank you...

Regards,

Art

No, unless the school accepts letters from friends and they typically don't due to conflict of interest of the writer or lack of value. The letter and evaluation has to reflect upon their professional relationship with you, which was none based on your limited info. That's not to say that you can't be friends with the writer, there just has to be a professional part to it too.

Last edited:
Hi

I am going to be volunteering at a small clinic pharmacy a total of 67 hours within a 3 week time period. Do you think it is ok to ask the pharmacist for a LOR once I'm done volunteering. ( I don't need the LOR until Dec/Jan). I can't continue volunteering, because I go to school in another city. The clinic is very small so its just the pharmacist and I (no pharm techs). Also, I think i should mention that the pharmacist is the former dean of two pharmacy schools.

Thanks

The pharmacist who wrote my LOR had me mail it. I mailed it on 7/9. It is now 7/17, and it still does not say received on PharmCAS. Did anyone else have this problem? :(

I am particularly concerned for two reasons: 1) It's probably the most important LOR. 2) She is in Egypt for another 2 weeks, and if I have to send another one I will have to ask another pharmacist ASAP.

from the pharmcas website

"STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOUR EVALUATORS TO SEND ELECTRONIC LETTERS OF REFERENCE (eLORs) to PharmCAS. Alert your evaluator to watch for an automated email from PharmCAS with the subject "PharmCAS Reference Request". PharmCAS will send you an e-mail confirmation when the rquest is sent to your evaluator's e-mail address."

Generally, there will be an online form that pharmcas sends to ur reference. Your reference usually fills it out and submits it directly to pharmcas

Yea, I'm aware of that. None of them wanted to be bothered with doing it online. All my teachers did it online, but the pharmacists had to be difficult. I guess they don't want to give out their e-mail.

The pharmacist who wrote my LOR had me mail it. I mailed it on 7/9. It is now 7/17, and it still does not say received on PharmCAS. Did anyone else have this problem? :(

I am particularly concerned for two reasons: 1) It's probably the most important LOR. 2) She is in Egypt for another 2 weeks, and if I have to send another one I will have to ask another pharmacist ASAP.

How was it mailed? I had the pharmacist mail mine certified and they got it less than a week. Did you put your return address on the envelop? FYI, typically the LOR needs to come directly from the pharmacist and not the applicant so if you listed your address anywhere on the envelop then that may cause an issue. Maybe wait until Monday/Tuesday time frame to see if they got it.

PS. Remember that since it was mailed, PharmCAS has to reproduce the LOR into their system which may also cause a delay. That is why they prefer it done electronically.

Yea, I'm aware of that. None of them wanted to be bothered with doing it online. All my teachers did it online, but the pharmacists had to be difficult. I guess they don't want to give out their e-mail.

The pharmacist was doing you a favor by taking time out of their day to write the LOR for you. Just be grateful that he/she did. They are already busy enough as it is.

How was it mailed? I had the pharmacist mail mine certified and they got it less than a week. Did you put your return address on the envelop? FYI, typically the LOR needs to come directly from the pharmacist and not the applicant so if you listed your address anywhere on the envelop then that may cause an issue. Maybe wait until Monday/Tuesday time frame to see if they got it.

PS. Remember that since it was mailed, PharmCAS has to reproduce the LOR into their system which may also cause a delay. That is why they prefer it done electronically.

The return address was the pharmacy's address. And yea, I'm gonna wait until Tue before I really start to worry.

this has probably been asked before..
but I was wondering if it's okay to ask them through email?
It's the summer, and they're probably not in the office so I can't call them...
any ideas on how to approach? Thanks!

I asked my old o-chem/micro teacher through email, I had also done undergrad research for him, and he was more than happy to write me a LOR.

if you send 4 letters to pharmcas,
do you indicate which one is 1,2,3,4
so that if a school only requires 2, they will only send 1,2?
thanks!

======

Last edited:
The chances of me making pharmacy school this year are very slim. Although, i have 3 potential VERY STRONG LOR (bio prof, inpatient pharmacist/pharmacy manager of hospital, and a retail pharmacist).

What is the best way I can tell them, "hey if i dont get in this year is there anyway you can also save the LOR so when i reapply next year i'll have it also?"

I didn't email any of them but walked into their offices/found them working to ask. It's just better when it's personal, imo. If you have no other choice, email.

The chances of me making pharmacy school this year are very slim. Although, i have 3 potential VERY STRONG LOR (bio prof, inpatient pharmacist/pharmacy manager of hospital, and a retail pharmacist).

What is the best way I can tell them, "hey if i dont get in this year is there anyway you can also save the LOR so when i reapply next year i'll have it also?"

?

So i am planning to ask my math professor for a lor this friday but i'm a bit stressed out! I had this professor for 2 classes (calc 1 and 3) but he only knows me from calc 3 which i got a B in ( i did get an A in calc 1) . he knew my name since it was a small class and that i always was on time and turned in my hw but never went to office hours. i think he would remember me since he knows my brother pretty well (but not me) and has written lors for him. i am planning on giving him my resume as well.

i'm wondering if someone else had gotten a lor from a professor that they did not know as well? did that work? (he is a nice guy)

i know its my fault for not getting to know my professors and the schools i am applying to are okay with a lor from a math professor. at this point i don't mind that the letter might/will sound generic cause again i didn't get to know anyone and i know for sure that i will have a really strong lor from the pharmacist i work with!!
plan b: get to know professors this semester and apply late!

sorry for the rant just really really stressed!!

So i am planning to ask my math professor for a lor this friday but i'm a bit stressed out! I had this professor for 2 classes (calc 1 and 3) but he only knows me from calc 3 which i got a B in ( i did get an A in calc 1) . he knew my name since it was a small class and that i always was on time and turned in my hw but never went to office hours. i think he would remember me since he knows my brother pretty well (but not me) and has written lors for him. i am planning on giving him my resume as well.

i'm wondering if someone else had gotten a lor from a professor that they did not know as well? did that work? (he is a nice guy)

i know its my fault for not getting to know my professors and the schools i am applying to are okay with a lor from a math professor. at this point i don't mind that the letter might/will sound generic cause again i didn't get to know anyone and i know for sure that i will have a really strong lor from the pharmacist i work with!!
plan b: get to know professors this semester and apply late!

sorry for the rant just really really stressed!!

Well this brings me back. Short end of it. Take a look at the Pharmcas standard letter that your authors will have to fill out anyway. Some big things are like professionalism and communication. Ideally, you'd want someone who knows you well and can speak to your strengths. Regardless of the grade, does the professor have good things to say about how you speak, dress, act, think? If they're not going to explain your potential as a pharmacist, health care provider, skills, or your ability as a student, this person might not be one for you. I'm not saying all of these things should be covered by your letter, but it should be covered adding all your letters up. Hope this helps!

In a dilemma on who to ask...

I just need two LOR's:

1) So I have definite strong LOR for sure. It's from a Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics professor who I have been doing research for almost 3 years now (since freshman year). She's also the associate dean of college of medicine at my school.

Here's the two I'm stuck on..
2) I took Gen Chem 1 & 2 with this professor. I got an A in 1 and a B in the second session. He barely recognizes me but I was super close with his TA who I am still in contact with. The TA actually wrote me a recommendation for a small internship my freshman year. I asked her if she can send him some information about me and how I did in the class (in addition to me going in and talking to him+giving him my resume) since I feel like this might help out a lot. She said she'd be more than happy to do so however she recommended that I get a recommendation from an instructor from a more advance science class.

I've taken Orgo, Orgo 2, Orgo Lab, Physics I, Gen bio--but either I didn't so hot, teachers were generally known to be rude, and/or I don't feel confident that they'll write me a good rec.

3) I took biostatistics last semester, got an A, feel like my teacher recognizes me pretty well, attended every discussion class. But this too is a 100-level course and I'm just worried at the fact that it's a 100-level math class and pharmacy schools would prefer science..

So basically my question is.. Gen Chem teacher who probably doesn't remember me at all but an awesome TA (who now has her PhD and works at UofChicago) who is willing to help me out? Or Biostatistic teacher who recognizes me (he's also super kind/friendly btw) and gave me an A in his class?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Last edited:
Thanks I think he would be able to write my letter. i'm just freaked out with the possiblity of him saying no! Thanks again