LOR questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on getting LOR from biochem, orgo I and II professors with a LOR from dentist.

I have looked at many schools regarding the "required" LOR and most of the school say any "science professors" but a few school such as Tufts require to have 1 LOR from biology professor. Currently, I am doing post-bacc and finishing up all the pre-requisites and did really well in all of them.

Although, I did well in biology courses, I feel that chemistry professor knows me more than just academic results. That is why I wanted to focus on biochem, orgo I and II professors for 3 science professor LORs.

Does anybody know that if most of the school would prefer to have at least 1 LOR from biology and 1 from chemistry department? It is not specified exactly but I heard some school prefer it?

I wanted to have people's opinion and see where I stand, thank you for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on getting LOR from biochem, orgo I and II professors with a LOR from dentist.

I have looked at many schools regarding the "required" LOR and most of the school say any "science professors" but a few school such as Tufts require to have 1 LOR from biology professor. Currently, I am doing post-bacc and finishing up all the pre-requisites and did really well in all of them.

Although, I did well in biology courses, I feel that chemistry professor knows me more than just academic results. That is why I wanted to focus on biochem, orgo I and II professors for 3 science professor LORs.

Does anybody know that if most of the school would prefer to have at least 1 LOR from biology and 1 from chemistry department? It is not specified exactly but I heard some school prefer it?

I wanted to have people's opinion and see where I stand, thank you for any input.

Many schools would be okay with just 2 science letters and 1 non-science. The science letters are preferably from chemistry or biology professor (keyword = "OR"). However, like the case with tufts, some schools want more than that.

Tufts wants 2 science letters one from chemistry and one from biology ~ they are very strict about it too...... I think you should call them and ask if the Biochemistry letter is considered "biology" I mean after all, I thought pre-med biochemistry is more focused on biology.

It would be nice to get an LOR from a Biology and Chemistry professor, but regarding Tufts specifically, they were fine having 2 Biology LORs from me. I was in the same situation and called them to ask if 2 Biology LORs were acceptable, and it was. Granted, I didnt get an interview with them, but I'd call them to make sure.

Does anyone know if there happens to be an SDN link floating around somewhere specifying all LOR requirements for each school? I know there are a few that specify pre-reqs, etc. so maybe there is a LOR one too.