• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

LOR reminder?

BuildingMyOwnLuck

2+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2019
  1. Medical Student
    I am just wondering, I asked my prof to write a LOR and she agreed to finish by end of month (back in July). I want to send a reminder, but Interfolio said that it sent one August the 3rd and I don't want to be annoying, but I also want to start submitting secondaries. Any opinions?

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
    Apr 2, 2019
    1. Medical Student (Accepted)
      Give it a few days. Interfolio reminded her on Saturday and it's now Tuesday. If she hasn't done it by Friday, send her a tactful message inquiring about it and reminding her that the clock is ticking on your application window.
      If we added a new letter at this point in the cycle, would that delay or restart review at some schools?

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        If we added a new letter at this point in the cycle, would that delay or restart review at some schools?
        One more LOR isn't going to move the needle, unless it was a required one that was missing. That might move the file into the queue.

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
        Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Jul 26, 2009
        The Big Bad Apple
        1. Non-Student
          That is exactly what you are asking for. First your application gets read and evaluated then it gets reviewed. So if you want it to have the letter considered, you have to have your file removed from complete status, have letter added, moved back in complete, and then back in review queue, which may be at the bottom of pile

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Jun 11, 2010
          Somewhere west of St. Louis
          1. Non-Student
            By this I'm assuming you mean it differs from school to school?
            Why take chances? One more LOR isn't going to make much of a difference to your chances overall. More is not better; and have mercy, because we Adcom members have to read these things.

Reactions: 2 users

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
            Apr 2, 2019
            1. Medical Student (Accepted)
              Why take chances? One more LOR isn't going to make much of a difference to your chances overall. More is not better; and have mercy, because we Adcom members have to read these things.
              Haha don't mean to inconvenience you all! I just think this one letter provides some pretty solid examples of leadership and service which is why I was considering it.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
              Lifetime Donor
              10+ Year Member
              Jul 26, 2009
              The Big Bad Apple
              1. Non-Student
                By this I'm assuming you mean it differs from school to school?
                Yes so here are the possibilities in order of most often to least often happening.

1) file is complete; letter is not part of full eval, minor chance it be seen or noticed by adcom
                2) file is reopened, letter added, part of full eval, application may go to original queue position of may be now at bottom of pile
                3) letter is part of full eval

Reactions: 1 users
                About the Ads
                This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.