LOR residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xClashx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a disadvantage would I be if I did not have a LOR from a place that has an anesthesia residency program.

I am currently planning out getting letters and doing aways. I did an anesthesia rotation in my home institution and will be getting a letter from them (it does not have a residency program in anesthesia). I will be getting another letter from a FM doc whom I will have spent 5 months with during my comprehensive community clerkship rotation.

As it stands now, I was going to plan on getting a LOR from my IM subI in 4th year.

I have been applying to aways, and made the mistake of only applying to 3 places. Got accepted to one where I see my self doing residency, but that is late in the application cycle (late sept-oct) so if I were to get a LOR, it would be late.

I am hoping to hear back from one more place, but they get back to me in may 1st. Should I go nuts and apply to 20 different programs or wait for that one school. The problem with applying to more programs now is that I don't know if they are filled and would be wasting $$.

TL;DR:
Would a LOR from anesthesia doc in an institution that does not have a GAS residency program + FM doc + IM sub I LORs suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

Would a LOR from anesthesia doc in an institution that does not have a GAS residency program + FM doc + IM sub I LORs suffice?

Yes, this is fine. There are several medical schools without affiliated anesthesia programs, and I don't think a particularly large number of applicants do aways.

Reactions: 1 user